wonderfulwildlife

Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, FL
Is a CRE the best heat source for a red foot hatchling indoors? My dad wants to know why the CRE is better than a infrared heat bulb because he’s worried that the bulb itself gets so hot. Are the mercury vapor bulbs okay for a RF hatchling? I’ve heard RFs don’t like too much light which is why some people avoid the MVBs.

I will definitely use a reptile thermostat on whatever I use. I plan on using a (most likely plastic) closed-chamber or mostly closed chamber enclosure with a UVB bulbs (unless I use the MRE because I understand they make UVB too). My house is 70 F with 50% humidity & I will keep the enclosure in the low 80s as far as temp & 80% humidity. Would it be easier to do closed chamber or open chamber with those temps in comparison to my house?

Also, if I do use a CRE at that temp, do I need a ceramic socket or can I use a lamp with a plastic socket?

Thank you so much!

jacksknight

5 Year Member
Florida
Is a CRE the best heat source for a red foot hatchling indoors? My dad wants to know why the CRE is better than a infrared heat bulb because he’s worried that the bulb itself gets so hot. Are the mercury vapor bulbs okay for a RF hatchling? I’ve heard RFs don’t like too much light which is why some people avoid the MVBs.

I will definitely use a reptile thermostat on whatever I use. I plan on using a (most likely plastic) closed-chamber or mostly closed chamber enclosure with a UVB bulbs (unless I use the MRE because I understand they make UVB too). My house is 70 F with 50% humidity & I will keep the enclosure in the low 80s as far as temp & 80% humidity. Would it be easier to do closed chamber or open chamber with those temps in comparison to my house?

Also, if I do use a CRE at that temp, do I need a ceramic socket or can I use a lamp with a plastic socket?

Thank you so much!

I would use the CRE for sure over the bulbs. Like you said using those bright lights for heating, they just get way to bright for what the tortoise needs. I would avoid the mercury vapor bulbs too. Just get a CRE with a good thermostat, then a good UVB and you will be all set. The UVB gives off plenty of light itself, so you wont need anything else.

I would also get a ceramic lamp and not a plastic one. You can check the package for wattage rating, but we got a ceramic one at walmart for 15 bucks. Also since you leave in Tampa, Aldi stores have a humidifier on sale right now for 15 bucks. We got an extra just in case.

Hope this helps!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I only use a single 18 inch 5.0 strip florescent tube/fixture in my closed chamber enclosure.
It alone keeps the temps in the low 80s. And more importantly, doesn't generate too much bright light or any hot spots.
It also does not dry out the chamber.
I'm giving this closed chamber away, BTW. It's in another post. But it's pick up only. And Tampa isn't exactly right around the corner from here.(Sunrise Fla.)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I'm unsure of a what a CRE is...?

I do use and love ceramic heat emitters (CHE) for my redfoots and would agree they are optimal over lights for this species.

wonderfulwildlife

Tampa, FL
I would use the CRE for sure over the bulbs. Like you said using those bright lights for heating, they just get way to bright for what the tortoise needs. I would avoid the mercury vapor bulbs too. Just get a CRE with a good thermostat, then a good UVB and you will be all set. The UVB gives off plenty of light itself, so you wont need anything else.

I would also get a ceramic lamp and not a plastic one. You can check the package for wattage rating, but we got a ceramic one at walmart for 15 bucks. Also since you leave in Tampa, Aldi stores have a humidifier on sale right now for 15 bucks. We got an extra just in case.

Hope this helps!
Awesome! Thank you so much! I will do that. I will definitely consider what Aldi has! I actually found a ceramic lamp at a local feed store for $10 so I got that :)

wonderfulwildlife

Tampa, FL
I only use a single 18 inch 5.0 strip florescent tube/fixture in my closed chamber enclosure.
It alone keeps the temps in the low 80s. And more importantly, doesn't generate too much bright light or any hot spots.
It also does not dry out the chamber.
I'm giving this closed chamber away, BTW. It's in another post. But it's pick up only. And Tampa isn't exactly right around the corner from here.(Sunrise Fla.)
No, unfortunately it’s not that close. Thanks for mentioning it though! That would be great if the UVB also keeps mine at the correct temp without using the CHE much & doesn’t dry it out.

wonderfulwildlife

Tampa, FL
I'm unsure of a what a CRE is...?

I do use and love ceramic heat emitters (CHE) for my redfoots and would agree they are optimal over lights for this species.
I meant CHE but somehow used the wrong abbreviation the whole post except the title. I will definitely be using the CHE for my red foot!

Cale

Gulf Coast FL
I’m in Tampa Bay too. I use CHE inside and out. I have 150w in my adults outside houses to take the edge off the cold nights right now, but not bother their eyes with bright lights! I have had to use a 250w infrared brooder bulb for the nights it gets below freezing (rare but happened last week) but quickly go back to the CHE when possible.

When it warms up I leave my babies’ enclosures on the back porch for most of the year. The heat and humidity is really easy to hold since it is warmer and more humid outside than inside. I just use a 50w to bump up the heat when needed. 47C290BF-FCA8-4097-B9AD-E8C20B79F8CC.jpeg