Is a colored card board box toxic for a tortoise?

Emilie

I'm afraid this might be a very stupid question... My friend has got a Horsefield Tortoise, and I'm very excited visiting them a lot. The tortoise is gorgeous.
I'm trying to learn how to navigate a few things since I have no clue about tortoises yet (though have been googling a bit these days). We're still getting around to upgrading the tortoises space to be larger, with more fun stuff for her to interact with (we're looking into the best solutions these days). In the mean time, it would be fun to put some new things into her space now and then for her to explore. We've got her a little cage, some nice rocks and a plant.

Main question (skip the rest if you want):
What I'm wondering is whether it would be ok to give her the lid of a little cardboard box? It's a bit like a shoebox, but the material is stiffer. The material is also colored white and red. It's quite small, would make a perfect little hiding spot if we lean it against a wall/rock, it's very light, thus wouldn't hurt her, and she could easily move it around if she should feel so inclined. But I'm not sure if there's any chance she'd try chewing on it, and in that case, whether it could be harmful to her? Could we leave it with her, or just let her play with it while we're around to watch, or should she not be exposed to it at all?

Tortoises seem to be balancing this fine line of being somewhat fragile (susceptible to temperatures, humidity, falling on their back, store-bought plants etc) and yet very resilient (they come from harsh conditions after all). Scared of doing something wrong, but wouldn't wanna deprive her of all fun like some helicopter parent either, haha.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A little cage does not sound good. They should have humidity, so no on the card board it will just get wet. The color could be toxic, but don't know. Your tort will be happy with all the right things. Proper size enclosure, correct temps and humidity, correct lighting heat and UVB, correct diet, hydration and a hide and substrate. Maybe an edible plant or two.

Emilie

A little cage does not sound good. They should have humidity, so no on the card board it will just get wet. The color could be toxic, but don't know. Your tort will be happy with all the right things. Proper size enclosure, correct temps and humidity, correct lighting heat and UVB, correct diet, hydration and a hide and substrate. Maybe an edible plant or two.

She'll get a larger space, but not tonight! Hopefully tomorrow. She spends a lot of time exploring the apartment though, under close supervision, so I think she gets enough exercise and adventure. Everything else we have in order, and she seems very happy :) But I also read that they can get under stimulated if they dont sometimes get new things to explore and play with, isn't that right? I would be very happy to once in a while provide her with something new, but don't know what the appropriate things would be.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wouldn't let her roam the house. Too dangerous and we have seen too many close calls. Some just plan tragic. If you just change up what's already in the enclosure that will help them investigate more. However, a tortoise that is comfortable in their enclosure, is more comfortable to just be out in it. Having enough room too. Just place logs or rocks And plants. They don't need stimulation like dogs and cats. They are no where near needing that kind of attention. They'd rather you left them alone for the most part.

Emilie

I wouldn't let her roam the house. Too dangerous and we have seen too many close calls. Some just plan tragic. If you just change up what's already in the enclosure that will help them investigate more. However, a tortoise that is comfortable in their enclosure, is more comfortable to just be out in it. Having enough room too. Just place logs or rocks And plants. They don't need stimulation like dogs and cats. They are no where near needing that kind of attention. They'd rather you left them alone for the most part.

I've read that horsefield tortoises are very outgoing, social and active? Is that not true? Not to the extent of dogs and cats, obviously.
Also, we're not really letting her 'roam' the apartment. She's still a novelty at this point, so we're maybe giving her 5 minutes out of the enclosure twice a day or so, during which she's 100% monitored, not watched (our hands close to her at all times). Her owner is quite over protecting still, while getting used to the new little friend.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Horsfields are indeed an outgoing and active species, they love to dig and climb and roam large territories. So they need a minimum enclosure size of 4 ' by 8' .
Social ? No.They are scrappers, extremely territorial and don't want or require company, they prefer to be alone. But it is possible for a human to build a relationship with them given time, in my opinion.
it is extremely difficult to control temperature, humidity and drafts out of an enclosure and accidents will happen. Even a dust bunny can cause impaction if swallowed.
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
for lots of good up to date tortoise care information.

Emilie

it is extremely difficult to control temperature, humidity and drafts out of an enclosure and accidents will happen.

Even for 5 minutes? I didn't expect them to be that fragile! We will not remove it from the enclosure again, then.

Emilie

Horsfields are indeed an outgoing and active species, they love to dig and climb and roam large territories. So they need a minimum enclosure size of 4 ' by 8' .
Social ? No.They are scrappers, extremely territorial and don't want or require company, they prefer to be alone. But it is possible for a human to build a relationship with them given time, in my opinion.
it is extremely difficult to control temperature, humidity and drafts out of an enclosure and accidents will happen. Even a dust bunny can cause impaction if swallowed.
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
for lots of good up to date tortoise care information.

One question i have -- I'm not a native speaker. I know that outgoing and social are not the same, but I was quite sure that 'outgoing' implies a certain amount of interactivity, and not just that someone will once in a while leave their house..? Would you mind help me by explaining how they can be outgoing, yet prefer not to have interactions with humans? I'm not sure I understand!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I agree with needing a roomy enclosure.

I personally see nothing wrong with the cardboard box hide. The tort needs some humidity, yes. Your substrate should not be bone dry but it shouldn't be wet either. I live in a humid area right by lake Erie. Summers are very humid. If i set a cardboard box outside it does not turn to mush unless it actually gets wet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
One question i have -- I'm not a native speaker. I know that outgoing and social are not the same, but I was quite sure that 'outgoing' implies a certain amount of interactivity, and not just that someone will once in a while leave their house..? Would you mind help me by explaining how they can be outgoing, yet prefer not to have interactions with humans? I'm not sure I understand!
What I would call a social tortoise is one that will come up to you when you are near. This usually happens when they have figured out you are the food God and not the scary giant wanting to eat him. Some social torts will also follow their owners, will let the owner pet their head, neck and even legs, no pulling in. They feel comfortable enough to walk around their enclosure even though you standing there, over them. Tortoise are not social with other tortoises. They do not want a buddy of friend. Most tortoises even ones considered social still will live a happy content life without your attention, as long as they have everything they need. Unlike a dog, who needs and wants human interactions, tortoise don't need or want it, but will tolerate it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh, if you want to socialize with your tort outside the enclosure. I would sit with mine, him being on my chest walking around there. He would even snuggle into my neck and sometimes doze off. Or, put him up on a table with a towel or table cloth down so it's not so slippery. Of course you there 100% of the time and attention only on him. I'm all about handling your tort. I don't like to let them roam the floor where there can be too many dangers and the floor is much colder. When you can take him outside, sit there with him too, to get him more socialized to you.

Emilie

I agree with needing a roomy enclosure.

I personally see nothing wrong with the cardboard box hide. The tort needs some humidity, yes. Your substrate should not be bone dry but it shouldn't be wet either. I live in a humid area right by lake Erie. Summers are very humid. If i set a cardboard box outside it does not turn to mush unless it actually gets wet.

Thanks for the reply! :)

Emilie

Oh, if you want to socialize with your tort outside the enclosure. I would sit with mine, him being on my chest walking around there. He would even snuggle into my neck and sometimes doze off. Or, put him up on a table with a towel or table cloth down so it's not so slippery. Of course you there 100% of the time and attention only on him. I'm all about handling your tort. I don't like to let them roam the floor where there can be too many dangers and the floor is much colder. When you can take him outside, sit there with him too, to get him more socialized to you.

Ah, yes, that's exactly what we do! :) Make a circle around her in the bed for instance, and let her climb across the duvet, which she at least seems to find interesting :) We won't let her walk around on her own, it's more of us hanging out with her for a short while outside the enclosure, like you described.

Emilie

What I would call a social tortoise is one that will come up to you when you are near. This usually happens when they have figured out you are the food God and not the scary giant wanting to eat him. Some social torts will also follow their owners, will let the owner pet their head, neck and even legs, no pulling in. They feel comfortable enough to walk around their enclosure even though you standing there, over them. Tortoise are not social with other tortoises. They do not want a buddy of friend. Most tortoises even ones considered social still will live a happy content life without your attention, as long as they have everything they need. Unlike a dog, who needs and wants human interactions, tortoise don't need or want it, but will tolerate it.

I see, thank you for your reply! This tortoise don't seek out interaction that much, but never seems frightened. If I pat her head, she has not once tried to withdraw into her shell or to move away, and if we sit by the enclosure, she'll often walk toward the corner where we are sitting :) She was taken over from an owner who had to move country, so maybe she's already somewhat socialized to people? Or just a very brave tortoise!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Even for 5 minutes? I didn't expect them to be that fragile! We will not remove it from the enclosure again, then.

Here's another thing to consider: Once a tortoise is allowed to know there is a big, wide, wonderful world outside the walls of his enclosure, he's never again satisfied to be contained inside the enclosure. It's very stressful on them to always want to escape the confines of the enclosure.