Is a Greek Tortoise right for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Then you should be perfectly fine. Golden greek babies are normally a little pricier than Ibera greeks.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
The golden Greek tortoise (Testudo graeca terrestris) comes from warm, lowland, somewhat humid countries in the southern and eastern parts of the Mediterranean Basin, while the Ibera Greek tortoise (T. graeca ibera) is native to colder, higher, drier areas north and east of the Mediterranean. Golden Greeks are notorious for dying from respiratory infections unless kept in a Mediterranean climate (e.g. California). Ibera Greeks, OTOH, can tolerate a wider range of conditions and have a higher survival rate here in the US.

If you've been keeping a steppe tortoise for the past ten years, then you may find that an Ibera Greek is similarly hardy. Getting a golden Greek is much riskier, unless you live in a climate very similar to its native Levant (again, like California).

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
Hi Gaddy,

Maybe a bit of confusion: terrestris came from SE-Turkey-> down to Israel. Except Lebanon and some Israel locations, most of the terrestris distribution is drier or equally drier than ibera areal. Equally drier or wetter for ibera, but MUCH colder, results in an incomparable hardiness, as you said.
It sounded like a paradox- how a species from a drier area can be hardier than one coming from a wetter one? Well, it works for nabeulensis too... quite wet in some parts of its habitat, but notorious for its sensitivity... but most Ibera came from Turkey or Balkans, where is both colder and wetter than terrestris areal.

Eweezyfosheezy said:
I would also look at eastern hermanns. They are very similar to Ibera greeks.
Zacheyp, it sounds even better. Eastern Hermanns (Boettgeri) are also equally or hardier in terms of moisture tolerance than the already hardy ibera. It will matter if you are in NJ! Also the Western Hermann is very tough, depends on provenance, but Boettgeri rules.

zacheyp

10 Year Member!
Ok then the Golden Greek is a no, are there anymore types of species to consider?

I just looked at iberas and i eally like them? what is there max. size?

zacheyp

10 Year Member!
Also should babies have a lot of humidity, sorry i have so many questions

conservation

10 Year Member!
My Biggest Ibera Greek female is about 12 inches and 1900 grams, while my biggest male is about 8 inches. Do you live in an area where they will have access to a Balcony for unfiltered sunlight? It is easy to modify a planter into a great part time outdoor enclosure. Plant it with some edible weeds and wildflowers and they will love it.

I feel like the Ibera's are much hardier but that is just my experience. A Hermann's Tortoise may be another choice.

What happened to your Russian?

zacheyp

10 Year Member!
I still have my russian but i would like another tortoise. Sadly the Ibera us gonna be a no, i don't have the space for something like that. I'm not sure i like the hermans tortoise. Om gonna search the internet see if there us a soecies i like then i'll get back to you guys!

are golden greeks a bit smaller, i feel like with the proper equiptment i could keep one, im not a total beginer

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
For an Ibera to get to 12 inches would take many years I have some five year olds that are in the 7-8 in. range and its a big difference from 8 to 12.

zacheyp

10 Year Member!
Eweezyfosheezy said:
For an Ibera to get to 12 inches would take many years I have some five year olds that are in the 7-8 in. range and its a big difference from 8 to 12.

I want to think long term and u don't think i can care for an animal that big. Would a golden greek be smaller?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Golden greeks will be a couple of inches smaller. I saw your other thread and you are looking for a redfoot but those get bigger than greeks and hermanns. If I were to get a tortoise in your position I would look into an eastern hermann or if you got around 400 bucks you can go for a western hermanns tortoise which are smaller and only get to 5-6 inches but are just as hardy.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
Moisture hardiness, able to hibernate 3-5 months and small size- that should be indeed Western hermanni.
They keep them with success in regions with cool summers in France and England, if some polytunnel or a mini-greenhouse provided for miserable days. And they are able to hibernate outdoors with minimum of an enclosure, just to keep it from getting too wet- especially Frenchies love to hibernate "au naturale", and they are some remarcable bunch of breeders. They have native Western Hermanni, it's maybe the commonest species in captivity there.
NJ summers are just fine, real summers. So, go for it.

zacheyp

10 Year Member!
The western herman tortoise sounds awesome but there is 1 problem... i can't find one for sale on the internet, any ideas on where to go?

zacheyp

10 Year Member!
You know to be honest i think i'm gonna skip the western hermans, i dont want to spen that much on a tortoise. Im just gonna get a golden greek and use a 150 watt ceramic heat emmiter AND a 50 watt uvb bulb, is this enough heat?

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
There is no way to say if that is enough heat, only you can answer that question after you get it set up and see where your levels are.
Everyone is going to have different results because we all use different enclosures and have a different local climate.

zacheyp

10 Year Member!
NudistApple said:
There is no way to say if that is enough heat, only you can answer that question after you get it set up and see where your levels are.
Everyone is going to have different results because we all use different enclosures and have a different local climate.
I understand, is that at least enough uvb?

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't even know of a bulb that is 50watt UVB. I have a 125watt MVB (Mercury Vapor Bulb) for when it's cold, when it's warm like this though I just use a 75 watt heat bulb, and get her outside whenever I can.

Since you have the dogs, I would suggest probably like the 100watt Powersun MVB, and you likely won't need the CHE until the winter months. I only turn mine on at night after the heat lamp goes out.

FWIW, I like in central NJ and have a UTH and a 75 watt bulb going right now in my 40breeder. I have a basking spot of about 95 degress, and the cool end is about 77degrees. I think you will need things a little warmer for the Golden Greek.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
For...what? Night heating? Unless you have a smallish enclosure 60watts won't keep it very warm.

zacheyp

10 Year Member!
NudistApple said:
For...what? Night heating? Unless you have a smallish enclosure 60watts won't keep it very warm.

No, just for uvb. I will also be using a CHE

Status
Not open for further replies.