Is a plywood enclosure ok?

Mark C

Location (City and/or State)
UK
1671136143446.png
Hi everyone
Just wondering about getting something like this indoors for our tortoise when he awakes - its made of plywood, and I've asked for a 6ft x 2.5ft one for our seven inch marginated tortoise. Is plywood safe? I can't think of why not? Obviously we'd put substrate in with a couple of inches at least layered.
Thanks
Mark

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
View attachment 352518
Hi everyone
Just wondering about getting something like this indoors for our tortoise when he awakes - its made of plywood, and I've asked for a 6ft x 2.5ft one for our seven inch marginated tortoise. Is plywood safe? I can't think of why not? Obviously we'd put substrate in with a couple of inches at least layered.
Thanks
Mark
In addition to needing more space, there are two other potential problems to address:
1. The open top will make it difficult to maintain the correct temperatures and humidity, unless the room temp and humidity is correct for your species.
2. All tortoises need damp substrate and the constant dampness will rot the plywood in a few months. There is no store bought wood treatment that will stop this. There is a product called Pond Shield that works, but its expensive, difficult to work with, and I don't know if you can get it over there. Low VOC, non toxic boat paint can work too, but that is around $300 for paint and primer.

Better to make the enclosure from something impervious to water. Sheets of expanded PVC work best. Its the same non-toxic, inert material that potable water pipes are made of.

Mark C

UK
In addition to needing more space, there are two other potential problems to address:
1. The open top will make it difficult to maintain the correct temperatures and humidity, unless the room temp and humidity is correct for your species.
2. All tortoises need damp substrate and the constant dampness will rot the plywood in a few months. There is no store bought wood treatment that will stop this. There is a product called Pond Shield that works, but its expensive, difficult to work with, and I don't know if you can get it over there. Low VOC, non toxic boat paint can work too, but that is around $300 for paint and primer.

Better to make the enclosure from something impervious to water. Sheets of expanded PVC work best. Its the same non-toxic, inert material that potable water pipes are made of.
Great so ideally a plastic pen which ideally you can expand and which retains some moisture

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great so ideally a plastic pen which ideally you can expand and which retains some moisture
Not just any plastic. Expanded PVC. It is sold in sheets that are 1/2 inch thick and 4x8 feet. It is utilized much like a sheet of plywood.

LJL1982

UK

I have an "flat" enclosure like this but larger for both of mine, they are made out of melamine covered wood (you can buy it in b&q etc in UK) I then have perspex sheets on top for my radiated with a hole cut for a basking light and some batten holding the UVB strip light and strengthening this "cover".

I spray down regularly and have a lower UV rated strip because its closer to her. I've solar rated below it and the lower % is holding a high UV rating at a shorter 11 inch distance.

She also has lots of hides but the non lit end (is still medium bright when lights are on) holds 26-27c due to the perspex.

My ibera has same enclosure but soends less time in it as it stresses him and has a hot basking area (lights) but with no perspex his cooler end is standard uk heated room temp of 22-23c generally.

Neither have heat at night but room remains at around 22-23c centrally heated.

The wipeability of the melamine is spot on. I also think it keeps humidity up.

Mark C

UK
I have an "flat" enclosure like this but larger for both of mine, they are made out of melamine covered wood (you can buy it in b&q etc in UK) I then have perspex sheets on top for my radiated with a hole cut for a basking light and some batten holding the UVB strip light and strengthening this "cover".

I spray down regularly and have a lower UV rated strip because its closer to her. I've solar rated below it and the lower % is holding a high UV rating at a shorter 11 inch distance.

She also has lots of hides but the non lit end (is still medium bright when lights are on) holds 26-27c due to the perspex.

My ibera has same enclosure but soends less time in it as it stresses him and has a hot basking area (lights) but with no perspex his cooler end is standard uk heated room temp of 22-23c generally.

Neither have heat at night but room remains at around 22-23c centrally heated.

The wipeability of the melamine is spot on. I also think it keeps humidity up.
Thanks that's really helpful

Mark C

UK
So is the melamine coating non toxic. We're so confused by exactly what's best eg I've seen some people saying plywood can be dangerous due to the pretreatment it's had. This looks good as you say easy to wipe down.

LJL1982

UK
So is the melamine coating non toxic. We're so confused by exactly what's best eg I've seen some people saying plywood can be dangerous due to the pretreatment it's had. This looks good as you say easy to wipe down.
Yes it's literally just plastic coat...some is available that is wipe clean but marginally more textures like ikea furniture...the only risk to tortoise is not enough substrate and them walking round sliding

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
You know what...I kinda disagree and dislike the raw material!!!! It breaks down more like a concrete and wood definitely withstands the test of time way better!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Plywood is not toxic. The problem with plywood and melamine is that water and moisture ruins it.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Not just any plastic. Expanded PVC. It is sold in sheets that are 1/2 inch thick and 4x8 feet. It is utilized much like a sheet of plywood.
I can not speak highly enough about a PVC enclosure. My Daddy and husband built one for my Russian a couple of years ago, and it has been life changing for both my tort and me! I spend less time fretting about temps and humidity because it is enclosed, and Pasha (my little guy) is more active and eats better. It even has the benefit of paying for itself at this point because I don’t run a humidifier and space heater any more to try and compensate for an open top enclosure. I’m not sure about the availability in the UK, but I highly recommend it!

Mark C

UK
I can not speak highly enough about a PVC enclosure. My Daddy and husband built one for my Russian a couple of years ago, and it has been life changing for both my tort and me! I spend less time fretting about temps and humidity because it is enclosed, and Pasha (my little guy) is more active and eats better. It even has the benefit of paying for itself at this point because I don’t run a humidifier and space heater any more to try and compensate for an open top enclosure. I’m not sure about the availability in the UK, but I highly recommend it!
Thanks great advice