Is Anyone In The UK Giving Their Tortoises's Extra Soaking In The Heatwave?

LeoTheWaywardTortoise

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Maricopa, AZ
Hi there from ridiculously hot AZ, where the high yesterday was 115F (44C). For what it’s worth, I soak Leo daily on Friday through Sunday, which are my days off. He lives outside this time of year, but with the temps getting so high I’ve been driving home from work mid-morning to retrieve him from his deeply shaded spot underneath a citrus tree, and if I’m successful (he has another spot that I cannot access) I will soak him those days, too. I figure it can’t hurt, and it does keep him pretty well hydrated. I have been soaking him daily, if possible, since February. Before that, I soaked him every other day. Hope this helps!

MaNaAk

Southend
Hi there from ridiculously hot AZ, where the high yesterday was 115F (44C). For what it’s worth, I soak Leo daily on Friday through Sunday, which are my days off. He lives outside this time of year, but with the temps getting so high I’ve been driving home from work mid-morning to retrieve him from his deeply shaded spot underneath a citrus tree, and if I’m successful (he has another spot that I cannot access) I will soak him those days, too. I figure it can’t hurt, and it does keep him pretty well hydrated. I have been soaking him daily, if possible, since February. Before that, I soaked him every other day. Hope this helps!
Good so it's a good idea.

MaNaAk

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A misting system or sprinklers would help you out a lot.

LeoTheWaywardTortoise

Platinum Tortoise Club
Maricopa, AZ
A misting system or sprinklers would help you out a lot.
Yes, I agree. I do have a sprinkler going during the hottest times if the day, but our yard is rather large and his preferred shelters are in different areas. I do have our irrigation timed to water the trees daily, in hopes that he’ll be able to sufficiently moderate his temp by going under the tree that provides very deep shade and humidity. His other favorite hide is underneath a rosemary bush; that’s the one that receives the sprinkler “rain.” So far, so good… but the high temps still concern me enough that I leave work to bring him inside when it’s forecast to be 106+.

Emmawilly

Plymouth
This is probably a silly question but is anyone in the UK giving their tortoises's extra soaking in our current heatwave?

MaNaAk
Yep! Me! I'm soaking my sulcata regularly and I put the sprinkler on in the garden for him. I am feeding him romaine to help with hydration.

Attachments

• 20220610_132749.jpg
    20220610_132749.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 6

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I soak Lola every other day, but I also leave a large plant saucer filled with fresh water daily in his outdoor patch for drinking and he can get in and self soak if he wants to. I have a plant water spray bottle that I sometimes spritz him with

Last edited:

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
We are just not used to it! Extra soaks, fresh water, spritz all good things and above all if it goes out provide shade and indoors provide ventilation! Speedy is soaking now and just going out to the garden with a garden umbrella for shade over his enclosure!

MaNaAk

Southend
We are just not used to it! Extra soaks, fresh water, spritz all good things and above all if it goes out provide shade and indoors provide ventilation! Speedy is soaking now and just going out to the garden with a garden umbrella for shade over his enclosure!
Jacky and Daisy are basking but later I shall put them in a more shaded area and see if Daisy starts digging a bed for herself like yesterday.

MaNaAk

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Speedy set up outside in the UK extra shade, garden umbrella and he opts to play and bask in the sunny spot 😃🐢.

Attachments

• IMG_20220719_082100_0~2.jpg
    IMG_20220719_082100_0~2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220719_081944_0~2.jpg
    IMG_20220719_081944_0~2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220719_082027_4~2.jpg
    IMG_20220719_082027_4~2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5