Is Anyone In The UK Giving Their Tortoises's Extra Soaking In The Heatwave?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
London, UK
Jacky and Daisy are basking but later I shall put them in a more shaded area and see if Daisy starts digging a bed for herself like yesterday.

MaNaAk
If you wet ,mist the substrate but not soggy they find that very cooling and burrow in it. Shade, ventilation, hydration and wet food are the key words

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Yes, I agree. I do have a sprinkler going during the hottest times if the day, but our yard is rather large and his preferred shelters are in different areas. I do have our irrigation timed to water the trees daily, in hopes that he’ll be able to sufficiently moderate his temp by going under the tree that provides very deep shade and humidity. His other favorite hide is underneath a rosemary bush; that’s the one that receives the sprinkler “rain.” So far, so good… but the high temps still concern me enough that I leave work to bring him inside when it’s forecast to be 106+.
I take Houdini for a walk in the morning if it's cool enough, but we've had 100+ degrees for 3 weeks & his new outdoor pen is not finished, so he's indoors.

MaNaAk

Southend
Unfortunately with living in a flat I have to bring Jacky and Daisy in when I go out but they generally spend between five hours a day and on some days and nine hours on other days outside.

MaNaAk

NJO

Downers Grove/IL
I am in IL. We are hot, not like some other states. My 3 (2 Sulcata and Leopard) live outside all summer. We leave water out for them, along with soaking and our Sprinkling system goes off them in the mornings. I did notice my big girl Sydney is digging deep holes throughout the yard. She has never done that before. I am thinking it is the weather.

Moi Hutton

UK
Hi I’m in Bristol (UK) and am soaking my spur thigh Charlie every day due to the heat. He’s been very inactive during the day and staying still in the shade however he was straight out on the lawn stomping and munching yesterday when the rain came lashing down!
I’ve also been feeding him more romaine than I usually would and some more cucumber to help with hydration.

lovingthelakes

Mt Pleasant, MI
This is probably a silly question but is anyone in the UK giving their tortoises's extra soaking in our current heatwave?

MaNaAk
I’m in Michigan & soaking mine daily. With the heatwave I’ve found him returning to his shallow pond on his own to soak more during the day as well. We’ve started changing the water twice a day instead of daily to keep up with keeping it clean for drinking.

Nette3399

Cheshire
This is probably a silly question but is anyone in the UK giving their tortoises's extra soaking in our current heatwave?

MaNaAk
Yes same here my 2 girls are 90 and very well adjusted to our weather but this heatwave has had them over active so keep eye on them soak everyday to keep hydrated and moist food plenty of shade at the peak although they do that for themselves too! Weather changed again so it’s a constant see how the day goes! They live in the garden free to roam except at hibernation so we’ll accustomed to knowing where to go when too hot!!