Is Arrowleaf Balsam root edible??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimbledoe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Central Washington
I still cannot find out if this is edible or not for my Russian Tortoise.

I have checked all the tortoise web sites on toxic and edible foods and can not find anything on 'Arrowleaf Balsamroot" I live in north central Washington and they are very plentiful all over the hills. Does anyone know if it is ok to give to my Russian?
Main plant information says it is edible for deer, rabbits, elk etc. No mention of tortoises.

balsamroot_zps484ceee8.png

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I would say it should be fine since it is related to Sunflowers. From Wikipedia:

Balsamorhiza is a genus of plants in the sunflower family known commonly as balsamroots. These are perennials with fleshy taproots and caudices bearing erect stems and large, basal leaves. Atop the tall stems are showy yellow sunflower-like blooms. Balsamroots are native to western North America. There are about twelve species plus many common hybrids.

From The Tortoise Table on Sunflowers:

Sunflowers readily accumulate nitrates from the soil, especially if the plants are fed with artificial fertilisers. Nitrates are toxic to cattle, causing congestion of lungs, collapse and even death. So although the plant itself is safe, it's not one to offer on a regular basis.

Nimbledoe

5 Year Member
North Central Washington
Spn785 said:
I would say it should be fine since it is related to Sunflowers. From Wikipedia:

Balsamorhiza is a genus of plants in the sunflower family known commonly as balsamroots. These are perennials with fleshy taproots and caudices bearing erect stems and large, basal leaves. Atop the tall stems are showy yellow sunflower-like blooms. Balsamroots are native to western North America. There are about twelve species plus many common hybrids.

From The Tortoise Table on Sunflowers:

Sunflowers readily accumulate nitrates from the soil, especially if the plants are fed with artificial fertilisers. Nitrates are toxic to cattle, causing congestion of lungs, collapse and even death. So although the plant itself is safe, it's not one to offer on a regular basis.

Thanks for responding. Seems like it should be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.