Is Artemis a Dude?

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon Coast
So I checked out the comparison illustration of the two genders in red foots that Yvonne posted. And Artemis vent doesn't seem to resemble female anal scutes..... very shallow ventral opening. And I'm not seeing any
rounded + deeper opening as seen in the illustration I viewed.
What do the other members suggest? Female? Male?

Is you look at the pics you can see a visually perceivable constricted waistline. Nice sharp color contrast. Not to mention that ever since I first got them as a hatchling, they have made an audible whistling squeaking sound that could just be a deformity ( but I'm hoping it could be male vocalizations....)20200401_200718.jpg20200401_200407.jpg

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
And the tail is always held over to one side. Do the female animals hold their tails to one side?

jeneliza

burton michigan
And the tail is always held over to one side. Do the female animals hold their tails to one side?
My female doesn't hold her to the sidez she always holds it out in the middle or at least most of the time, once in awhile she put it to one side or the other, but I don't think that matters, but honestly looks like a dude, female tend to be wider, and males tend to be more of an oval,

Heads22

Philadelphia
Leaning towards male due to the hourglass shape of the shell... would be easier to tell if you posted a more over head photo and underside of the shell

jeneliza

burton michigan
My female doesn't hold her to the sidez she always holds it out in the middle or at least most of the time, once in awhile she put it to one side or the other, but I don't think that matters, but honestly looks like a dude, female tend to be wider, and males tend to be more of an oval,

Attachments

• IMG_20200331_110318.jpg
    IMG_20200331_110318.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200330_093259.jpg
    IMG_20200330_093259.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 16

jeneliza

burton michigan
Sorry didn't mean to post all of the photos just the one of her shape, there in the same file so it posted all of them, but she's wider and more flat as where yours is more of and hour Glass,

Last edited:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Female for sure. Small tail, no concavity. This is my male about Artemis's age and size for comparisonIMG_20200402_051655728.jpgIMG_20200402_051714254.jpg

Last edited:

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
That male is HUGE compared to Arty!!! Lol! I think he is twice as big.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That male is HUGE compared to Arty!!! Lol! I think he is twice as big.
He's a 2016-17ish Hatchling. I definitely think at that age with no concavity developing, and the tail that small, you can pretty much take it to the bank that Arty is a girl.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Do red foots get round shaped? Mine has always had a pretty constricted waistline. You can see her shell shape best in the pic where she is sitting in her dish....

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
She was extremely ticked off when I made her pose for those pics!

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
It is really hard to get a pic of the tail now that I need one! It's like Arty knows I want her ( his) pic and decided heck no!
I saw the pic of your smaller Tortstork.com individual's tail that you posted! And through comparison yours is obviously a female once compared next to Arty.... and pretty close to the same sized shell.