Is Bella actually a "male"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winslow AZ
Bella was bought from a pet store in Louisville Kentucky for my grandson. His therapist thought it was a good idea to have something he could feed and call his and suggested a turtle ::go figure:: my son bought this Russian...long story short, I ended up with her...they said it was a female at the Pet store, and named her "Bella".....but I'm not so sure, After looking at tail pictures.....there are also "indentions" on either side on the plastron.......
tail3.jpg

tail2.jpg

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
The tail look's small to me can you take a plastron shot an post it ?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Most likely female. A male's tail is usually twice that long. Plastron shots would be great.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
RE: Is Bella actually a "male"? UPDATE

Ok...got the picture. The underside of her tail looks like a little "star" instead of a "slit" and she doesn't carry the tail to one side except for occasionally when you pick her up.......combined with the other pics....whatdya think? Male of female?
pastel.jpg

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Well, it would be easier if we could see the anal scutes, lol, but yes, I still say female.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
A photo of the tail from straight on would help immensely. A plastral view of a Russian tortoise really can't be used to determine gender since both males and females have flat plastrons unlike other Testudo species.

The other tail photos that you posted make it appear that you've probably got a female. Especially since you describe the clocal opening as a star, not a slit. Thanks actually a very good description of the difference.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Looks female, I always go by length of tail and how it is held, males are long and held to the side, but in younger animals it is not always 100 percent.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
To reiterate, this is the kind of picture we need to see:
IMG_1849.jpg

(in case you didn't understand that from the last 40 posts, ha)

From the pics you posted, as well as your description, it does sound like you have a female :)

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
dmmj said:
Looks female, I always go by length of tail and how it is held, males are long and held to the side, but in younger animals it is not always 100 percent.

But surely it's not just males that hold them to the side, I have 2 females at home that hold them to the side..

They are 100% female. :shy:

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Yvonne-I have seen the same with many of my tortoises-females holding the tails to the side. I don't put any credence in males always holding their tails to the side and females being straight out. It just doesn't always hold true.
Even overall length isn't always accurate. I have seen and currently have a male Hermann's that simply isn't "well endowed". I purchased this tortoise at about 4" and firmly believed that I had a female. He has since successfully fathered several offspring!

He is on the right in the photo below:
malehermcomp-1.jpg

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
Bella will hold her tail to the side sometimes when you first pick her up...but never when she's walking or or being still. I will try to get a pic of what you need today.........thanks

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
RE: Is Bella actually a "male"? NEW PICS

LadyV said:
Bella will hold her tail to the side sometimes when you first pick her up...but never when she's walking or or being still. I will try to get a pic of what you need today.........thanks

640466048_2289742921_0.jpg

640465605_2289741708_0.jpg

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
That tail is pretty small. A male Russian tortoise's tail is so long that it is reminiscent of a snapping turtle! ;) The star-shaped cloaca is another clue. A shot of the anal scutes would be helpful, too, but based on that tail, I'd say it's a girl.

EDIT: Oh, I see. Looks like you just posted the anal scute shots as well. Yes, judging by how V-shaped the convergence of the anal scutes is (as opposed to U-shaped), I'd say you have a female there.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
And the consensus is:::::::::::FEMALE!! I'm so happy...didn't want to change all the Bella baby names I have for her. "My little Bella, Bella boo", "Bell bell butt", "Bella Bella Baby girl....cutest little tortoise in the whole wide world"........yeah I know, but it what I do with my animals

Status
Not open for further replies.