Is buying a few Albino sulcata tortises a good investment to keep grow and resell when bigger

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You can't keep a pair together, period! Some species might do fine as a pair, sulcata are not one of them. Plus they do not want company. They are happier and less stress being alone.
As for keeping him outside year round, yes, that's what you need to strive for. He will need a large heated night box or shed to retreat too when it's to cold too be outside for too long.
Yes.
No pairs.
I missed that entirely

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I mean you can't even have a male and female pair just no pairs at all huh
Yes, no pairs. Two females might be okay, but that's still a might and you would have to be prepared to separate. One male and one female pair would not work because the male will try to breed the female to illness or death.
If you had acres with lots of sight barriers then it's a possibility but you would have to be prepared to separate.

Reactions: Ink

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can pay a visit to the Ojai Sulcata Project in California. http://ojaisulcataproject.org This makes you wish that you have a huge patch of land ( many acres ) then you can put as many sulcatas together under one roof.
I bet if they actually pay attention to all that goes on, they would find a few that would do much better being separated.
But yeah, acres are much better for housing a mixed group

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ooof, a lot of the care info they have on their website doesn't seem that great...
That is a long story...

Dave Friend was the owner and founder of that group. He was a friend of mine. He learned and was following the old wrong info for decades, as we all did back then. When he saw what we were saying here back in 2010-2012, he made his website to specifically refute everything we were saying against the old wrong info, point by point. After several phone and in-person conversations, and after seeing the results from other tortoise people he knew, he personally recanted and admitted that he was wrong and that there might be something to this whole closed chamber, monsoon conditions, good hydration, thing us TFO people were doing. Sadly, he fell into all sorts of health problems which consumed the remaining years of his life, and re-doing the website was never a priority.

Sadly, Dave passed away. He meant well and cared immensely for his own tortoises and the species. He was learning the new ways, but never got to fully realize what was going on because of his failing health.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is a long story...

Dave Friend was the owner and founder of that group. He was a friend of mine. He learned and was following the old wrong info for decades, as we all did back then. When he saw what we were saying here back in 2010-2012, he made his website to specifically refute everything we were saying against the old wrong info, point by point. After several phone and in-person conversations, and after seeing the results from other tortoise people he knew, he personally recanted and admitted that he was wrong and that there might be something to this whole closed chamber, monsoon conditions, good hydration, thing us TFO people were doing. Sadly, he fell into all sorts of health problems which consumed the remaining years of his life, and re-doing the website was never a priority.

Sadly, Dave passed away. He meant well and cared immensely for his own tortoises and the species. He was learning the new ways, but never got to fully realize what was going on because of his failing health.
That's too bad, sorry you lost a friend. Did anyone take over where he left off with his tortoises or they sell off what they could?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's too bad, sorry you lost a friend. Did anyone take over where he left off with his tortoises or they sell off what they could?
I don't know what became of his place and his tortoises, but his wife was fairly well involved, so I am certain she took over for him.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You couldn't just have a whole kind of backyard and put the. Together obviously enclosure them but you couldn't just house them together in a large space with a large turtle house also wouldn't I just keep them inside for a year until there a bit bigger
Sulcata big or small must be kept warm at night, this where my 40 lb Sulcata rescue lives...100_6311.JPG
in it there's 2 UVB lights, 2 che's a sleeping box with a kane mat. All that cost money and ya know what, scale all that equipment down for those (how many) tortoise babies. exotic tortoises like Sulcata need specialized care or they die. You absolutely need to print out those care sheets and make that teacher read them...

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
morph geckos ,pythons and boas are way more profitable than turtles and tortoises

if you really into turtles & tortoises, i suggest you do morph RES , diamondback terrapin or spotted turtle (sexual matures fast, high market demand, low maintaniece since they are native north american species) .
Stay Away from tortoises.