Is cinnamon toxic to sulcata’s

Toni W.

5 Year Member
I have ants really bad on my pumpkin plants and I read you can sprinkle cinnamon to get rid of the ants. My sulcata will be eating some of the pumpkin flowers and pumpkins. Is cinnamon ok for sulcatas if they eat a little of it?
Thank you for any info you may have

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Don't know. Never tried.

Where are you? Different strategies work to get rid of ants in different parts of the country.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Close to the coast? This will tell me about moisture and humidity levels as well as temperatures.

What type of ants? Big red ants, little red CA type fire ants, little black Atgentine ants?

Find their home base of operation and then employ one of these methods:
1. Get some Terro Ant Baits. These are sugar water and boric acid. Relatively non-toxic. Place the bait station in an area where the ants can have at it and let them swarm it and carry the payload back underground to the queen and the rest of the colony.
2. Get some Amdro Ant Granules. Ignore the directions on the package saying to spread the stuff all over the place. Instead pour a little one inch mound of it right into the ant hill entrance. They will immediately work to clear it and carry it underground to the queen and the rest of the colony. This one is insecticidal and toxic, so use some method of keeping your tortoise or other pets from gaining access to it. I cover the area with a large wire basket or a plastic laundry basket until the ants have carried the material away. Its bright yellow, so you can easily see when the area is cleared. Usually takes them an hour or two.

If you have multiple ant colonies, try my methods and the cinnamon too, and see what works best.

Toni W.

5 Year Member
Close to the coast? This will tell me about moisture and humidity levels as well as temperatures.

What type of ants? Big red ants, little red CA type fire ants, little black Atgentine ants?

Find their home base of operation and then employ one of these methods:
1. Get some Terro Ant Baits. These are sugar water and boric acid. Relatively non-toxic. Place the bait station in an area where the ants can have at it and let them swarm it and carry the payload back underground to the queen and the rest of the colony.
2. Get some Amdro Ant Granules. Ignore the directions on the package saying to spread the stuff all over the place. Instead pour a little one inch mound of it right into the ant hill entrance. They will immediately work to clear it and carry it underground to the queen and the rest of the colony. This one is insecticidal and toxic, so use some method of keeping your tortoise or other pets from gaining access to it. I cover the area with a large wire basket or a plastic laundry basket until the ants have carried the material away. Its bright yellow, so you can easily see when the area is cleared. Usually takes them an hour or two.

If you have multiple ant colonies, try my methods and the cinnamon too, and see what works best.

Toni W.

5 Year Member
Thank you for your information. They are the little black ants. Yes close to the coast. We have a lot of foggy mornings in the summer months. Weather normally 60’s to 70’s.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for your information. They are the little black ants. Yes close to the coast. We have a lot of foggy mornings in the summer months. Weather normally 60’s to 70’s.
Those would be the Argentine ants. The Terro ant baits work great for them indoors, but outdoors they are less attracted to them since they have so many other decent water sources. Try them and see. That would be my first move.