Is eco earth and repti bark mixed good for baby leopard tortoise?

Joseph Flores

Location (City and/or State)
MERCEDES, TX
I was wondering if I can use eco earth and repti bark mixed together or just a layer or repti bark on top of the eco earth for my baby leopard tortoise.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
ReptiBark on top of eco earth is fine, but if you can get to a garden center or HOme depot you can get bags of cypress mulch for about $3-$4 per 2 cubic feet. I use the cypress under the ReptiBark so that you can not see the cypress and my Leopard likes it and moves well on it! 1583005467099.png

Joseph Flores

MERCEDES, TX
ReptiBark on top of eco earth is fine, but if you can get to a garden center or HOme depot you can get bags of cypress mulch for about $3-$4 per 2 cubic feet. I use the cypress under the ReptiBark so that you can not see the cypress and my Leopard likes it and moves well on it! View attachment 287094
Oh that's very nice! What kind of plant is that your using? And thanks.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Pothos. Also spider plants on the other end and tortoise see mix growing in the white pot.

DJ Kirk

Guelph, Ontario, Canada
I do that for my redfoot. Coir underneath and bark on top. Some people use soil instead of coir but I hate the cleanup - coir is easier.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was wondering if I can use eco earth and repti bark mixed together or just a layer or repti bark on top of the eco earth for my baby leopard tortoise.
This question is a matter of personal preference. Either substrate is safe to use, but I find coco coir (aka: Eco Earth) to be far too messy.

I recommend fine grade orchid bark (aka: repti bark) all by itself. You'll need a 3-4 inch layer. I buy it in bulk at the local garden center.