Is Exo terra repti-glo safe ?

sherlock15

Is the Exo terra repti- glo a bad source of UVB for tortoises? Is it harmful or safe?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If it is one of the tube-type fluorescent bulbs, it is fine, however, Repti-glo also comes in a spiral-shaped compact fluorescent bulb and these are not safe.

Sheldon.B

5 Year Member
Ireland
If it is one of the tube-type fluorescent bulbs, it is fine, however, Repti-glo also comes in a spiral-shaped compact fluorescent bulb and these are not safe.

Hi just looking at you advise, relishing that I have a spiral shaped flourescent Repti- glo one and separate heat Repti - Glo one. Just followed advice of the pet shop, bad advice ah! Should I have two separate bulbs? One for heat and one flourescent one? Just checking

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi just looking at you advise, relishing that I have a spiral shaped flourescent Repti- glo one and separate heat Repti - Glo one. Just followed advice of the pet shop, bad advice ah! Should I have two separate bulbs? One for heat and one flourescent one? Just checking
You have a choice:
1. Use a single Mercury Vapour Bulb (MVB) which will provide both basking heat and UVB in one bulb
2. Use a standard basking lamp and a separate UVB long tube bulb.

Which you go for doesn't really matter. Use what suits you and your enclosure best. The MVB means you need fewer wires and sockets, so is tidier.