Is exo terra solar glow good for aldabra tortoise?

JWiediyanto

So I am planning to my the exo terra solar glow for my aldabra tortoise. Is that kind of bulb is good? It is said that the bulb contains UVA and UVB. Is it good? Please put your comment if you ever but the bulb....

M

Maggie Cummings

I see where it reads UV heat light, but does it say uvb anywhere? I try ti use Powersun

Shakudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Netherlands
Hi!

What I read is that it's a mercury bulb that emits both UVA and UVB and heat, I haven't had experience with this particular bulb but a similar one and I find it a good double solution for both UVB and heat.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Yvonne. It has to say UVB. However, if you can get the tort outside for some natural sun, that of course is the best you can give it.

JWiediyanto

It said that there is UVA and UVB. Is this kind of bulb is good? Do you have a bad experience with this bulb? And will my tortoise be sick or something If I use this bulb?
Thank you
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1405691731.796182.jpg

mikeh

5 Year Member
I would use higher quality MVB, especially to protect investment such as Aldabra. Megaray or Solar Raptor would be my choice with MVBs.
Solar meter is another important investment to measure the actual output of artificial UVBs. With any UVB bulb it could be a dud producing no or very little UVB, you will never know as it will still light up. (I believe each Megaray is tested for UVB output before shipped out to consumer.)

And of course no artificial UVB bulb beats the sun in UVB department.