Is grass safe for my horsefield tortoise to eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsam

5 Year Member
Hi all, I put my horsefield tortoise on the grass lawn for a few minuets, and he started to eat some grass, so I placed him in is outside secured pen. My question is will grass harm him if I put him back on the lawn, many thanks Sam

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
Mediterranean tortoises don't eat much grass, but they do eat some from time to time. As long as your lawn has not been chemically treated, then letting your Russian graze when it wants to is actually a good idea.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
After my Russians eat all their weeds from the spring - I let mine loose in a grassy area and they graze like crazy. They do prefer broad leaf plants but will happily eat grass as well.

tortoise_man1

5 Year Member
Michigan
The grass will not hurt your russian tortoise but make sure there are not any chemicals in the grass.

oldsam

5 Year Member
Hi all thanks for your replies, when the sun shines my young tot will feast on the grass and hopefully a few dandelions if they ever come out. Take care, Sam

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
oldsam said:
Hi all thanks for your replies, when the sun shines my young tot will feast on the grass and hopefully a few dandelions if they ever come out. Take care, Sam

Excellent. Dandelions are even better! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.