Is Hank showing early signs of pyramiding?

Location (City and/or State)
Derbyshire
Hank my 4 week old sulcata tortoise has a pretty smooth shell, however, when looking at some other tortoises, their scutes have been much clearer and defined where as his are darker. Some of these other tortoises have super smooth shells unlike Hank who has slightly risen scutes in areas. Please let me know if he is beginning to pyramid. Th first photo is Hank and the second is what other sulcatas look like. B17BE8C3-EEFF-4FF3-A72D-46DBDBDD86BF.jpeg30DCD015-2E86-49F4-BDBA-4FC5AEE86D2C.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
This guy is only 4 weeks old so you have PLENTY of time to rectify any bad husbandry practices that the breeder (and you) might have initiated.

Are you now following Tom’s “How to Raise a Sulcata guidelines?

Soaking a good 30 mins per day?
Proper moist substrate?
Minimum of 80F temps 24/7?
Basking area & light?
Good lighting?
A fully enclosed enclosure that keeps humidity levels high?
A good balanced diet?

Ps…your substrate looks too dry. 😩

Derbyshire
This guy is only 4 weeks old so you have PLENTY of time to rectify any bad husbandry practices that the breeder (and you) might have initiated.

Are you now following Tom’s “How to Raise a Sulcata guidelines?

Soaking a good 30 mins per day?
Proper moist substrate?
Minimum of 80F temps 24/7?
Basking area & light?
Good lighting?
A fully enclosed enclosure that keeps humidity levels high?
A good balanced diet?

Ps…your substrate looks too dry. 😩
Yeah the coco coir has dried out so I am going to add a new brick into it, I am making a new enclosure for him with a reptifogger, Cyprus mulch substrate and other stuff. I soak everyday for 40 minutes at 6:00. Temperature 35C 12 hours a day. Basking area is 38C. UVB strip light T5 HO. Diet includes opuntia cactus, zucchini, lambs lettuce, campanula, moist orchard hay, cucumber (occasional), hibiscus, Pak Choi, kale, romaine, red leaf lettuce, broadleaf plantain, ribwort plantain. I will add more as the temperature increases. Area is enclosed and I am making a new enclosure to perfect humidity (currently in the mid 70s).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hank my 4 week old sulcata tortoise has a pretty smooth shell, however, when looking at some other tortoises, their scutes have been much clearer and defined where as his are darker. Some of these other tortoises have super smooth shells unlike Hank who has slightly risen scutes in areas. Please let me know if he is beginning to pyramid. Th first photo is Hank and the second is what other sulcatas look like. View attachment 354902View attachment 354903
Your substrate is too dry. You can just add some water to it. I usually dump, rinse and refill the water bowl daily if there is no poop in it. Sometimes every other day. Depends on how damp it is.

The sulcatas in the pic you posted are brand new hatchlings with no growth. Your tortoise is older and has some growth showing, and it does look too dry.

35C as an ambient is a little high. Better to keep it closer to 30-33C during the day with the basking area reaching 36-37. Too much electric heat is desiccating and will cause pyramiding. We need heat, but we don't need too much heat.

Derbyshire
Your substrate is too dry. You can just add some water to it. I usually dump, rinse and refill the water bowl daily if there is no poop in it. Sometimes every other day. Depends on how damp it is.

The sulcatas in the pic you posted are brand new hatchlings with no growth. Your tortoise is older and has some growth showing, and it does look too dry.

35C as an ambient is a little high. Better to keep it closer to 30-33C during the day with the basking area reaching 36-37. Too much electric heat is desiccating and will cause pyramiding. We need heat, but we don't need too much heat.
Ok thanks for that, it’s great. I was also wondering if the darker colour of his shell is normal too? My computer just sold today so I’m going to spend money on a cyprus mulch substrate and a reptifogger in a new enclosure without my Horsfield (he will live in this one) I am also going to use a dimming thermostat.

Derbyshire

Also just wondering if he is a bit too slim (elongated). He isnt as round as most of the others I have seen

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ok thanks for that, it’s great. I was also wondering if the darker colour of his shell is normal too? My computer just sold today so I’m going to spend money on a cyprus mulch substrate and a reptifogger in a new enclosure without my Horsfield (he will live in this one) I am also going to use a dimming thermostat.
You don't need to change the substrate. Coconut coir is one of the best. If you want just add orchid bark fine grade on top. Mulch can have junk in it we don't want with our tortoises. Coconut coir and orchid bark is what you should use..
The color is normal, some are darker than others. The shape also is normal. Some more elongated others more round.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
New growth comes in darker in sulcatas. It fades in time.

You don't need a reptile-fogger, and those should not be blowing directly into a tortoise enclosure. Raise humidity by using a closed chamber and reducing ventilation. This works much better.

You don't need a dimming thermostat either, but it is fine to use on on your ambient temperature maintain gin devices. Just don't use it on your basking bulb.