Is HE or isn't SHE? The confusion continues

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Is HE or isn't SHE?
My 9 or 10 year old Redfoot, Julio, I've had since it was tiny and I rescued him from a small aquarium at the Fort Lauderdale SWAP SHOP Flea Market.
He has been my only long term "keeper" tortoise. I've had dozens live here for a while. Some needing new forever homes. Some needing medical attention. But Julio will be with me until one of us dies.
When I found him, he looked like a him. In fact, he resembled someone I knew. So he got his name, Julio.
For a few years I assumed that Julio was a boy. Backed by his aggressive attitude and bossy nature towards other Redfoot.
Then, Julio looked to be developing female traits. Classic short, fat tail and U shaped vent. She was officially called my "female named Julio". More years passed. Other tortoises took the majority of my time and Julio just kept on thriving with very little assistance.
Then this happened:
He looks Male again during his semi whenever check up. I do this about twice a year. Weigh and look over the animal. His tail is fat, but long and his plastron is getting dished. Concaved.
(Those of you that have followed me know how horrible I am about guessing tortoise sexes.)
So I ask you,
Is HE or isn't SHE?
I'm leaning heavily towards female even now.
In the first photo I'm just showing off that FACE.

20181213_083050.jpg 20181213_083033.jpg 20181213_083039.jpg

Last edited:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hmm, I'm still new at this and this one is tricky. I'm guessing female, but plastron does look indented, so not too sure.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I see the confusion!!
The concave is surely male but the tail looks female.

So wait, if the tort knows his/her sex but the owner does not....What’s the proper term for this type of gender confusion? [emoji23] ;) :)
In my case, I call it NORMAL

daniellenc

Maryland
Plastron looks male for sure and I've seen a lot of proven male red foots still have a a more u-ish looking vent compared to other tort species so I guess male. Julio hasn't flashed you yet?

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I believe that a 10 year old male would be much more concave than Julio and have a much bigger tail. My opinion is that Julio is Juliette, female. Here’s a pic of my 6 year old male, really changed over the last year.
IMG_1333.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I believe that a 10 year old male would be much more concave than Julio and have a much bigger tail. My opinion is that Julio is Juliette, female. Here’s a pic of my 6 year old male, really changed over the last year.
View attachment 267836
No doubt he's a male.
Nice animal.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Plastron looks male for sure and I've seen a lot of proven male red foots still have a a more u-ish looking vent compared to other tort species so I guess male. Julio hasn't flashed you yet?
No.
Never.
But she or he has sometimes "persued" both males and females. More about being bossy than anything sexual it seems.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I reckon it’s female Ed. I have one very similar with a concave plastron. Captive males at 10yrs old would be extremely concave.
Thanks, Craig.
I'm hoping she is female. Because I'm seriously thinking about adding a few more animals to my "permanent" group.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Great looking tortoise whatever s/he is!