Is it a Red Ear Slider or Not ?

Ivan_Diaz

Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, Ca
I have recently found a turtle in a close by canal that was stuck in some trash. After doing my research, I can't seem to pinpoint the species of the turtle. He looks closely to a red ear slider but ironically doesn't have the red ear and has a similar shell to my female red ear. Does anyone have an idea on what it can be or know for sure? I've provided images of him and one of my female to compare. Just trying to know so I can give it the proper care it needs :)

IMG_4737.jpg IMG_4694.jpg IMG_4690.jpg

Reptilony

QC, CAN
I have recently found a turtle in a close by canal that was stuck in some trash. After doing my research, I can't seem to pinpoint the species of the turtle. He looks closely to a red ear slider but ironically doesn't have the red ear and has a similar shell to my female red ear. Does anyone have an idea on what it can be or know for sure? I've provided images of him and one of my female to compare. Just trying to know so I can give it the proper care it needs :)
yellow belly slider

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
It's an older Slider. Would need pic of plastron to specify which subspecies. Regardless if it's a red ear, yellow belly, or Cumberland their care requirements would be the same as your red ear.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
@Toddrickfl1 is correct. It is some type of slider subspecies. Mot likely a red-ear, and probably a male, but we cannot see the tail or the front claws. Males get melanistic as they age and even a red ear male will frequently loose all the red in it's "red ear". Could be a Cumberland, but is not a Yellow Bellied. A picture of the plastron would help. but the care is the same for both sub-species.

Ivan_Diaz

Fresno, Ca
@Toddrickfl1 is correct. It is some type of slider subspecies. Mot likely a red-ear, and probably a male, but we cannot see the tail or the front claws. Males get melanistic as they age and even a red ear male will frequently loose all the red in it's "red ear". Could be a Cumberland, but is not a Yellow Bellied. A picture of the plastron would help. but the care is the same for both sub-species.

Yes he is a male , I will send a picture when I get home.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
because yellow's have bigger/larger stripes on the head?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
because yellow's have bigger/larger stripes on the head?
Yes. The Yellow-Bellied Slider has very different head and neck striping. We can see enough in the picture you posted to see it is not Yellow-Bellied. In a Yellow-Bellied, the stripes are much wider, and the more prominent forked stripe that splits behind the jaw will have the upper branch of that stripe widen and curve upward behind the eye. With T s elegans and T s cumberland, the stripe ends touching the eye as with yours. Yellow-Bellieds - T s scripta - also have mostly plain, immaculate plastrons (as the name implies). There is sometimes a spot on either gular but predominantly immaculate.