Is it bad to keep a hatchling in a large enclosure?

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
Probably a dumb question, but I've never had a hatchling before. I'm not getting a new tortoise for awhile but I'm researching now so I'm prepared.

Can I keep it in a 6 ft. by 2 ft. table or should I buy/make something else? I'm building a new bigger enclosure for my adult russian so I want to use her old one if it will work. It will either be a Russian or Hermann

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Hatchlings need a closed chamber to tightly control the temp and humidity. Also if it still has any of its egg sac it can't go into a regular enclosure yet. What are you getting and how old will it be?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Probably a dumb question, but I've never had a hatchling before. I'm not getting a new tortoise for awhile but I'm researching now so I'm prepared.

Can I keep it in a 6 ft. by 2 ft. table or should I buy/make something else? I'm building a new bigger enclosure for my adult russian so I want to use her old one if it will work. It will either be a Russian or Hermann
I start tiny hatchlings in 100 or 135 gallon tanks, or in 4x3' closed chambers depending on species and the situation. There is no reason you can't start them (tortoises) in large enclosures. I do agree with that philosophy with some other reptiles, but not torts. The more room to walk around inside their enclosures, the better.

I agree with @Blackdog1714 that a closed chamber will make maintaining optimal heat and humidity MUCH easier. Here is the current and correct care info: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/