Is it big enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MovieActor

5 Year Member
I have an enclosure that measures 2.5' X 4' that houses a 6" leopard tortoise.
Is the enclosure size sufficient for my tortoise?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's cutting it pretty close. I'm in that same boat. I have two about that size and their habitat is right on the cusp of being too small. Hopefully it will last until next spring when I'll build them a bigger one or let them out into the big boy yard.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Its a bit small for that size leo. Outside is the best for a leo that size so they can graze and get lots of sunshine, Weather permitting of course. I would up to a 8' by 4' if you could for an indoor table. Any reason you dont have him oustide?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is no real rule for this. A bigger enclosure is better. It's not that a small one will kill them, but a bigger one will allow them more room to exercise and explore. It will give them a larger area to thermoregulate. Help to keep them from getting fat, etc...

MovieActor

5 Year Member
I'd love to have her outside but my fiancé and I live in a 1000 sq ft apartment. When weather permits we like to take her out to the lawn by the lake (under close supervision of course).

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Personally I would say it is a little small.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I also say it is too small. For night time it would be fine for quite some time. However, he should have way more room then that for day time grazing and exploring. Can you at least put a second floor on it with a safe ramp going up to it? Possibly join two 50 gallon tote boxes together, with a hole and tunnel to join the two together. Just some ideas to expand his small enclosure.

MovieActor

5 Year Member
Is there a place with how-to diagrams for adding a second level? I'd love to do that.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not sure there is a how to or step by step, but check out the enclosure threads and you might get some good ideas and I believe there might be a few that shows or gives a few instructions.

MovieActor

5 Year Member
Awesome! Thanks everyone! I'm going to work on adding a second level and maybe adding length to the enclosure as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.