Is it good idea to have a rhino iguana ?

xXtortoiseloverXx

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
south Florida
Hi guys I am thinking to get a iguana , only thing I am afraid of is when they get big and get aggressive during breeding season , let me know guys , thanks .

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I had iguanas growing up. From small to huge, if they're handled when young they can be quite gentle. They fall asleep when they see you, in my experience, but you have to work with them when they're young. If you get a male and a female and grow them up you will expect to see some breeding behavior, which can get aggressive. If your looking for a pet. Then I'd just get one. In the long run they do better solitary and typically won't display aggressive breeding behavior unless given the opportunity of being around the opposite sex when an adult.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Too bad you aren't living in Florida. You could just go catch one. This time of year babies are all over the place.
Yes. get one that is young. handle it OFTEN and it will feel no need to run or bite or be nervous later on.
I.M.O. you want a very small one. A young adult might already be skittish.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
OH, I see that you ARE in Florida. Get a net and walk some canal banks. There are thousands of them.
They run very fast and will dive in the water, but if you get one away from the water, you'll see that they run quickly, but after several high speed sprints, they soon tire and stop running altogether.
They are an introduced species and I'm not sure of the legality of it all. I see certain Haitians that I know snagging them with fish hooks and eating them for dinner......

xXtortoiseloverXx

10 Year Member!
south Florida
I had iguanas growing up. From small to huge, if they're handled when young they can be quite gentle. They fall asleep when they see you, in my experience, but you have to work with them when they're young. If you get a male and a female and grow them up you will expect to see some breeding behavior, which can get aggressive. If your looking for a pet. Then I'd just get one. In the long run they do better solitary and typically won't display aggressive breeding behavior unless given the opportunity of being around the opposite sex when an adult.
Yeah I just want one as pet , so female and male won't make any difference on aggression right ? I guess when I get the baby I won't be able to tell female or male anyway lol.

xXtortoiseloverXx

10 Year Member!
south Florida
OH, I see that you ARE in Florida. Get a net and walk some canal banks. There are thousands of them.
They run very fast and will dive in the water, but if you get one away from the water, you'll see that they run quickly, but after several high speed sprints, they soon tire and stop running altogether.
They are an introduced species and I'm not sure of the legality of it all. I see certain Haitians that I know snagging them with fish hooks and eating them for dinner......
Rhino iguana ? I see green iguana sometimes but never seen rhino iguana , so ppl eat lizard ,don't know if it is good idea lol. canal bank is too far from me .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Rhinos tend to be more aggressive than Greens. If you want something to hang out with and pet you'd be better served by a Blue Tongue Skink. If you want something big and tame then your chances are better with a Blackthroat monitor or a Black and White Argentine Tegu, than any iguana.

I've raised a ton of green iguanas. I've seen tame ones, but if you raise them well and they are healthy, they are normally a bit flighty and aggressive. I've only had a few rhinos and all of them were very aggressive. I've handled a few tame Rhinos, but much like the greens these were not housed or cared for optimally. They were alive and well, but certainly not in their prime.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm no expert but it seems that our Florida mixed species does indeed have the Rhino type "horns" and some also have blueish coloration.
The Florida Strain Is A Mixed group.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm no expert but it seems that our Florida mixed species does indeed have the Rhino type "horns" and some also have blueish coloration.

Got pics of this? Some greens do have horns, and some green iguana locales are bluish/grayish in color. Personally, I would not call them "hybrids" so quickly. There is a lot of variation in green iguana color, size and appearance over their huge range.

You might be right, but I will need some more convincing before I believe their are hybrids running around out there.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Rhinos tend to be more aggressive than Greens. If you want something to hang out with and pet you'd be better served by a Blue Tongue Skink. If you want something big and tame then your chances are better with a Blackthroat monitor or a Black and White Argentine Tegu, than any iguana.

I've raised a ton of green iguanas. I've seen tame ones, but if you raise them well and they are healthy, they are normally a bit flighty and aggressive. I've only had a few rhinos and all of them were very aggressive. I've handled a few tame Rhinos, but much like the greens these were not housed or cared for optimally. They were alive and well, but certainly not in their prime.
I 2nd that. Skinks are fantastic and veggie eaters too.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA

Thanks for posting this. I've been contemplating getting a big lizard but didn't want one that would possibly be aggressive. Now I know what to look for :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for posting this. I've been contemplating getting a big lizard but didn't want one that would possibly be aggressive. Now I know what to look for :)

My favorite big lizards are the water monitors, blackthroat monitors, savanna monitors, blue tongue skinks, and red or b/w tegus. I love the caiman lizards too, but they are not usually very tame.

I love the iguanids too, but most of them are less than "friendly" when they are healthy and housed correctly. When you see one of those really big super-tame green iguanas, it is truly awe-inspiring though. Likewise, I have a friend with a big female rhino iguana and she is a breeze to handle. Never tires to bite or run and she's just mellow. I wish I could say the she was the norm, but I cannot.

xXtortoiseloverXx

10 Year Member!
south Florida

It is good to know ,only lizards I like is iguana , looks like dinosaur,lol. I guess I will look for other type of pets , don't wanna take a chance to bite by big iguana .

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
In florida we have mexican spiny tailed iguanas and green iguanas. They normally don't mix

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
Got pics of this? Some greens do have horns, and some green iguana locales are bluish/grayish in color. Personally, I would not call them "hybrids" so quickly. There is a lot of variation in green iguana color, size and appearance over their huge range.

You might be right, but I will need some more convincing before I believe their are hybrids running around out there.
Green Iguanas in Fort. Ladurdale
IMG_0331.JPG IMG_0332.JPG IMG_0348.JPG IMG_0349.JPG IMG_0350.JPG IMG_0481.JPG
Iguana found in Zoo Miami
IMG_0581.JPG IMG_0582.JPG

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
My favorite big lizards are the water monitors, blackthroat monitors, savanna monitors, blue tongue skinks, and red or b/w tegus. I love the caiman lizards too, but they are not usually very tame.

I love the iguanids too, but most of them are less than "friendly" when they are healthy and housed correctly. When you see one of those really big super-tame green iguanas, it is truly awe-inspiring though. Likewise, I have a friend with a big female rhino iguana and she is a breeze to handle. Never tires to bite or run and she's just mellow. I wish I could say the she was the norm, but I cannot.

Is it possible that they're friendly with calm dogs? I wouldn't be getting one for many years but chances are I'd either have my current dog or another one at the time that I would be able to look into getting one.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I just wanted to say I can't believe how many Iguanas I saw in Key West!!!!! It was absolutely crazy!! And...I never knew how huge they could get!!! It amazed me....They are beautiful creatures! Good luck in your iguana search, I'm not too familiar with them.