Is it important for tortoises to get exercise by roaming about?

willee638

Location (City and/or State)
HK
I had my red foot for 10 months now, the first 3 months of bring her home I didn't take her outdoors because of lower temperatures in the teens & I didn't let her explore around the house. But once the spring & summer came around she was taken out in the fields 4-5 days per week for sunlight & roaming about for at least an hour, I noticed she grew faster, her digestion was improved & she was less lethargic. Where I am fortunately we have milder cold seasons, so on warmer days under bright sunlight she still gets to go outdoors to roam.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yes, they need to be able to walk about but in a proper sized enclosure not round the floors of your home.

Redfoots are tropical forest species and need steady 85F warmth and high humidity day and night. It is likely far too cold outside at the moment.

Your home is not humid enough for health and neither is it warm enough. On top of that there are many hazards which ee see far too often on this forum: non food items being eaten including “dust bunnies” and hair, being stepped on, escape... you only have to be distracted for a moment.

Do not let your tort roam the floors of your home in compensation for lack of outdoor space. Build a large covered indoor enclosure where your tort can live in the conditions it needs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's very important - for gut motility. It helps keep the digestive tract moving properly for them to be able to do a lot of walking.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had my red foot for 10 months now, the first 3 months of bring her home I didn't take her outdoors because of lower temperatures in the teens & I didn't let her explore around the house. But once the spring & summer came around she was taken out in the fields 4-5 days per week for sunlight & roaming about for at least an hour, I noticed she grew faster, her digestion was improved & she was less lethargic. Where I am fortunately we have milder cold seasons, so on warmer days under bright sunlight she still gets to go outdoors to roam.
Yes they need lots of exercise and walking space, and they should be able to get this in their large indoor and outdoor enclosures. "Roaming about" outside of a tortoise enclosure is an accident waiting to happen and almost always ends in some terrible tragedy.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi there. I see that you said in your first post that you did NOT allow your tort to roam around your house - and that's good!
Outdoors and sunlight is great, and safe outdoor space for exploring is fine too - just make sure the tortoise has shade also, and that the temperatures are correct and not too cold.
If she has a fairly spacious indoor enclosure inside your house, that works when it's too cold outside.
Any pics?

willee638

HK
Here's my baby....I have always taken her progress pictures. She increases in weight weekly, she looks quite different at first at only 97g.

Attachments

• DSC_1811.JPG
    DSC_1811.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
  • DSC_1881.JPG
    DSC_1881.JPG
    684.7 KB · Views: 7