Is it just me?

Neon_xero

Location (City and/or State)
El Paso
Is it just me or does any of y'alls tortoises or turtles climb things vertically I don't know If it's just my box turtle and my testudo? So about 2 years ago I had chicken wire in my planters to keep my tortoise from falling out well that didn't work because HE STARTED CLIMBING THE CHICKEN WIRE! I don't know how he got that much upper arm strength lol I wish I took a pic but I think my mom has one. please tell me if y'alls tortoises do this?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yes they can be good climbers - found this pic on google
1608058512134.png
Many people cap the corners or edges of enclosures to create an overhang.
Some can even be great burrowers too.
Bigger torts like sulcatas may just bulldoze their way through!
Maybe sight barriers would stop him wanting to escape.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Russians (Horsfield) in particular are notorious for climbing. But other species will do it too.

Capping corners is essential to prevent esc

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Russians are very good climbers and very persistent. It's been my experience that once they climb something they will continue to try to do it. I have had to modify my enclosures multiple times for climbing and digging.

T

Trudy_the_tortoise

Yes I have seen my tort climb wire in the backyard. Torts can be really good at climbing!

Faygen

5 Year Member
Midlands UK
I used to keep my Herman's in a big rabbit cage with the wire top similar to a hamster cage and I once caught him climbing it like we would ladders

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is why you don't use "wire" of any kind to enclose tortoises. They need solid visual barriers and smooth walls with no footholds.

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
My marginated will try and climb anything in his enclosure. He will also try and climb the walls to see you when you approach. He has become a very avid climber over the last month and it makes me very anxious!

Faygen

5 Year Member
Midlands UK
Yea I thought the plastic bit was tall enough and immediately changed it when I saw him he wasn't in it long at all terrifies me how much they like to climb sometimes