Is it normal for male russian to bite in the face?

wiktoria

I woke up and my tortoise was scratching the side of its cage so i took it out i fell asleep then i woke with a bite on my face...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Might I recommend not leaving your russian out loose in your bed? Especially while you are sleeping.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Not an good idea to have a torts while you are sleep. You may just suffocate him by turn your body on him. Not mention he may poo or pee..............

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
That's awesome, your tort is 'thug life'

Next time you should just let me be. How big is his cage?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Wiktoria:

Your Russian tortoise needs a bigger space, that's why he was scratching. They are hard-wired to do a lot of wandering, and being contained in an aquarium is stressful to him.

Can you give him a large, safe outdoor enclosure?

wiktoria

Well my tort is about 2-3 inches and the cage is about 1 mmeter long so i dont think thats the problem, the only thing i wonder about is why did he bite my face o_O

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Well my tort is about 2-3 inches and the cage is about 1 mmeter long so i dont think thats the problem, the only thing i wonder about is why did he bite my face o_O
A cage for a Russian should be min 1.25 meter wide and 2.25 meters long (roughly 4' by 8'). You got bit in the face because you're trying to snuggle with a wild animal. They are not domesticated animals like dogs or cats.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Another bit of information... If your tort is 2-3", you cannot be certain of the sex.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Like the experienced members have said, it's not a good idea to have your tort in bed with you, not natural and dangerous for you both.
I'm glad you're going to get a bigger enclosure as this will make him a happier guy and he was only biting you because he was scared and defending himself, or was feeling a bit hungry and was seeing if you were edible.
Usually my Tidgy doesn't bite me, but if my hands smell of something she finds interesting she'll have a go at my fingers, but mostly she can smell it's me and is gentle taking food from my hands, even tiny pieces, without touching me. Clever girl.
Don't worry, just don't give him another opportunity of giving you a love bite!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I would never have my tort in my bed. Please allow me to point out that when I allow it to roam around the flat I do not allow it to entre my bedroom.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They sample things with their mouth. Many species will eat carrion in the wild. Your tortoise must have been testing to see if you were a big dead animal it could eat.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
They sample things with their mouth. Many species will eat carrion in the wild. Your tortoise must have been testing to see if you were a big dead animal it could eat.
That's what I said :) thanks Tom for explaining it much more thoroughly.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yeah, they will actually try to eat almost anything, from human food, to dangerous things like dust bunnies, paper clips and once I found mine eating a piece of Christmas tinsel that had blown into her outdoor area. Don't let them, they are eating machines and don't always know what's good for them.