Is it normal for my Tortoise to sleep a lot?

Rocky219

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I am not that worried because he still eats and looks well. But he naps a lot. He just basks. He doesn't really run around his enclosure. He is a Hermann Tortoise and is 3-4 years old. He likes to sleep until about 10 even though the lights go on and off at 8Am and 8PM. Then I would say he maybe naps again after he eats greens at like 2 30 or 3 and wakes up at 5. Also the temps and humidity are good. The basking spot temp ranges from 89 to 95f. The humidity is between 40% and 60% (Although recently I have been unsure because the humidity gauge broke and I am getting him a new one)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He might be living in a too small enclosure and it's boring for him. If you have a bigger enclosure, you can put in some sight barriers so that when he looks out his 'doorway' first thing in the a.m. he can't see his whole world. He has to walk around things to see what's on the other side. Put the food station clear on the opposite side from the sleeping area.

Little mediterranean tortoises are active little creatures. Give him a ping pong ball to push around. If you think he's male you can find something that looks like a tortoise about his same size (rock, etc.) and give that to him occasionally to fight with or try to breed. Get some little clips from the stationary store and clip greens in them then hang them high so he has to reach and stretch to bite them.

Try to think of things that will make his life more interesting for him.

Rocky219

Massachusetts
He might be living in a too small enclosure and it's boring for him. If you have a bigger enclosure, you can put in some sight barriers so that when he looks out his 'doorway' first thing in the a.m. he can't see his whole world. He has to walk around things to see what's on the other side. Put the food station clear on the opposite side from the sleeping area.

Little mediterranean tortoises are active little creatures. Give him a ping pong ball to push around. If you think he's male you can find something that looks like a tortoise about his same size (rock, etc.) and give that to him occasionally to fight with or try to breed. Get some little clips from the stationary store and clip greens in them then hang them high so he has to reach and stretch to bite them.

Try to think of things that will make his life more interesting for him.
Ok thank you!