Is it normal for sudden onset growth at certain ages?

AZSid

Remington's growth has suddenly gone from a rather steady pace to a quick onset of weight. I presumed she would actually slow down during winter months, but that hasn't been the case at all.

She just hit 6 months a few days ago and is weighing in at 229 grams. That's an 18 gram jump in 6 days! Her previous measurement showed a weight gain of 31 grams in 13 days.

The only things I've changed are I bumped her thermostat up 2 degrees, changed from coco coir to orchid bark and she got a change in grazing diet when the summer weeds died off and the winter weeds sprouted in her outdoor pen.

So is the sudden growth spurt just normal for a 6 month old tort or does it have more to do with the dietary change?

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
Yeah very much normal. My rocky gained 50 grams in a month. Took him for ever to reach 100 @9 months. Now 10 months and at150 grams.

Bro Apollo is gaining 30-50 grams every 3 weeks. He's at 505 grams. Same age.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
They seem to grow in spurts , as long as she continues to gain I would think you are fine . Now that Speedy is a yearling , I only weigh him once a month . One less thing to be paranoid about ! :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes. Growth spurts are normal.

Diet might be having and effect too. Hard to say.