Is it normal for turtle to stop eating before winter??

susieq450

Location (City and/or State)
Kodak
I have communicated with you about our little Finn and am happy to say he has been eating well and up to 5 gm. , until now. I put him in his feeding dish the same time every day as usual and he would always start eating right away but now I can't seem to see him eating. I admit I do not watch him every moment but he would always eat as soon as I put him in his feeding dish. I seem to remember something like this with my last mud turtle around the same time of the year and wonder if anyone else experiences this and if any of you have had the same experience. I am concerned but as finicky as he is, I do not know what else to do or if I should even worry. Thank you, guys!!

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
If it's a little bit cooler, he might pick up on that. I'm not sure if Bold and Pinstripe slow down noticeably or not.

Now that I think about it, they don't seem to be clambering for food quite as much lately. ?

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
My indoor turtles notice the change in season even though the artificial lights in the turtle room stay on the same schedule and the temps are the same. I'm guessing they key in on the change of natural light through the windows. They start to show a change in behavior as fall deepens and will not eat as much, stop eating and then start again and go through the cycle all over again for a period of weeks. Some will stop eating completely during December and January and others keep eating but at a reduced quantity. They all get their best appetite of the year in February or March. I'm tempted to black out the windows next year and see if they behave differently.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
At a certain temperature, digestion slows down to a trickle. Making any tortoise not eat as much. If it all.
Hibernating species or not.
But it might not be a good idea to rule out all other reasons unless the temperature has gotten noticeably cooler.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Temperate turtles and toetoises will slow down and stop eating as the sun lowers in the sky in fall. No matter what the temperatures are, the change in UV levels and the intensity of the sun triggers them to start preparing for winter. Just like deciduous trees, the leaves will turn color and the tree will go dormant with the change in the sun, regardless of temperatures.

As @PJay noted, they will pick up on this indoors if there is any window in the room.

We have been going through the warmest October on record here with 20 days out of 22 so far over 90°. Despite this warmth, all my pond turtles and fish are simply not that interested in food now and have dramatically slowed down - except my sturgeon who will feed year-round.

susieq450

Kodak
I want to thank everyone for your responses to my question and concern. It made me feel a little relieved and not so worried. I used to feed him twice a day since he is so young but I decided to cut him down to morning feedings only. I have noticed, the past couple of days that he is eating a little, now that I cut him down to one meal a day. I just didn't know if it was a natural instinct for the turtles to stop or slow down their eating during certain seasons since they live in a monitored environment with heat, lights, and no changes. Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate it because my pets are all very important to me, including Finn!!

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I want to thank everyone for your responses to my question and concern. It made me feel a little relieved and not so worried. I used to feed him twice a day since he is so young but I decided to cut him down to morning feedings only. I have noticed, the past couple of days that he is eating a little, now that I cut him down to one meal a day. I just didn't know if it was a natural instinct for the turtles to stop or slow down their eating during certain seasons since they live in a monitored environment with heat, lights, and no changes. Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate it because my pets are all very important to me, including Finn!!
Also, as Finn gets more size on him, he can go a little longer between meals.
In a few months, he'll hit a growth spurt, and you won't know where he's putting it all! ?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)

You also can keep them active and eating year round with no slow-down if you have the correct lighting and photoperiod. A good bright main light. A basking light for heat. A good UV light that covers about 1/2 the tank. A photoperiod of 14 hours daily. I use this to headstart turtles for my pond and they are active, feeding, and growing through the winter with no slow-downs.

susieq450

Kodak
You also can keep them active and eating year round with no slow-down if you have the correct lighting and photoperiod. A good bright main light. A basking light for heat. A good UV light that covers about 1/2 the tank. A photoperiod of 14 hours daily. I use this to headstart turtles for my pond and they are active, feeding, and growing through the winter with no slow-downs.
Thank you Markw84 for all the wonderful tips.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Remember how worried I was about him, Pastel Tortie? He is growing nicely and I am pleased, even though he is a finicky little bugger!!
I absolutely remember! I'm so happy for you both!

I still say we should throw a party when he hits the double digit mark (in grams)!