Is it normal for turtles to go days without eating?

flyingpenguin

Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
I have 2 baby Mississippi map turtles, I moved them to a bigger tank 3-4 weeks ago and they were fine. However, this is the 3rd day that I cannot get 1 of them to eat anything. I've tried his pellets, dried shrimp, dried worms, and soaking food in tuna. I even tried taking him out of the tank and putting him in a separate bowl of water, but nothing. He's acting fine otherwise, swimming/basking, but I'm starting to get concerned.
Thanks

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
What about live food? I've heard earthworms almost always work. If they are still not eating with the live food, idk. Maybe someone else recognizes a problem.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Well back when I kept map turtles, raw shrimp or raw mussels/clams were favorites. I never fed mine live earthworms but it’s worth a try. Three days is not all that long, I would not be hugely concerned unless that turtle shows other signs of illness or odd behavior. Some questions:

What is your water temp?
Air temp at basking area?
What kind of basking light do you have?
Was there a drop in water temperature when you moved them?

flyingpenguin

Tennessee
Well back when I kept map turtles, raw shrimp or raw mussels/clams were favorites. I never fed mine live earthworms but it’s worth a try. Three days is not all that long, I would not be hugely concerned unless that turtle shows other signs of illness or odd behavior. Some questions:

What is your water temp?
Air temp at basking area?
What kind of basking light do you have?
Was there a drop in water temperature when you moved them?

Hes’s not acting strange other than the not showing interest in food.
Water temp is 78 degrees
Air temp fluctuates between 74-75
Basking temp is 88
There wasn’t a huge drop when I moved them, it went down to 76 for about a day until I adjusted the heater

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I don't have any experience with Map turtles so I'm probably not much help. A couple days not eating is not that long though but there has to be a reason. Are you sure your temperature hasn't dropped any? I would also recommend live food. Maybe humanely euthanize a comet goldfish and offer that.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Hes’s not acting strange other than the not showing interest in food.
Water temp is 78 degrees
Air temp fluctuates between 74-75
Basking temp is 88
There wasn’t a huge drop when I moved them, it went down to 76 for about a day until I adjusted the heater

All of this sounds fine to me. Keep offering different foods and give it a couple days. I would not be that alarmed unless you see other symptoms develop. It wouldn’t hurt to notch the water temp up to 80 and see if it makes a difference, but high 70’s shouldn’t be a problem.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
How young are they? Newly hatched turtles can be difficult to get started eating properly. I always keep my babies in a very small 5 gal tank with water just deep enough so they can still stand on hind legs and stretch their heads to the surface. I also put in plenty of fake plastic plant and some live water lettuce for security/hiding. I leave the bottom bare so food is easy to find. Many babies like the maps, take a while to start eating. Live food is definitely a stimulus so the wiggling of a live bloodworm is my favorite starting food. I add some good pellets - really like the reptomin baby formula - and wait to see them start to take that. Zoo Med also has a hatchling formula that is a very small pellet. I leave them in that tank until I see they are eating well, and can see the first signs of new growth seams. If you transition them to a bigger tank before they are eating well they can an will, sometimes, starve to death.

A picture of the babies would help and your setup they are in.

Here's a picture of the starter tank I use. Right now there is a clutch of spotted turtles hiding in there that hatched 4 days ago.

IMG_0588.jpg

flyingpenguin

Tennessee
How young are they? Newly hatched turtles can be difficult to get started eating properly. I always keep my babies in a very small 5 gal tank with water just deep enough so they can still stand on hind legs and stretch their heads to the surface. I also put in plenty of fake plastic plant and some live water lettuce for security/hiding. I leave the bottom bare so food is easy to find. Many babies like the maps, take a while to start eating. Live food is definitely a stimulus so the wiggling of a live bloodworm is my favorite starting food. I add some good pellets - really like the reptomin baby formula - and wait to see them start to take that. Zoo Med also has a hatchling formula that is a very small pellet. I leave them in that tank until I see they are eating well, and can see the first signs of new growth seams. If you transition them to a bigger tank before they are eating well they can an will, sometimes, starve to death.

A picture of the babies would help and your setup they are in.

Here's a picture of the starter tank I use. Right now there is a clutch of spotted turtles hiding in there that hatched 4 days ago.

View attachment 300552

They are only about 6 months old. I give them the Reptomin baby formula. One is eating really well, the other was when I first got them, but just quit. I did get him to eat a couple pellets last night and a piece of shrimp, but it took him about 30 minutes. He even used to love romaine lettuce, but won't touch it now. Also I noticed last night that at times, he's going facedown (like in the first picture), but if you make a noise or he sees you immediately goes back straight (like the second picture). I don't know if that's relevant or normal behavior. But I also included a picture of my setup.
Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_4729.jpg
    IMG_4729.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4730.jpg
    IMG_4730.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4733.jpg
    IMG_4733.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6