Is it OK to feed sulcata only romaine lettuce.

NinjaTortoise12

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.I've had my sulcata for about two months and I've notice he's grown pretty fast. My friend bought one from the same batch and mine is about four times bigger. I've only been feeding him\her romaine lettuce and he has an awesome basking spot. I would like to think he's doing great but don't want to force feed him\her . feed my tortoise twice a day a significant amount of lettuce sometimes cilantro .any help would be appreciated. Thanx guys

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Look at the care sheet for sulcatas under the Species Specific section - that will give you a list of suitable and good foods for your tort.
Also look at www.thetortoisetable.org.uk to help ID plants and if you already know names it will tell you if they are tort safe or not.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Have you looked into your friends care and why they would be so different in size? Your friends enclosure, lighting and food, etc.
Just romaine is certainly not ideal.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Sometimes we see young tortoises that are very healthy, growing fast, eating well.. and conclude that whatever their environment is, it must be healthy for them.

Problem is, tortoise can sometimes take a long time to show damage. Kinda like a child, we know that balanced nutrition is the key to long term health, that eventually a diet of only meat and carbs & sugar will show in poor health. "They don't like vegetables" is not a good excuse.... neither is "They are growing fast and look healthy"

Torts are the same way. A lack of calcium in the diet, for instance, may not show damage for a long time, and by the time it does show.... it takes a log time to correct, if ever. This is why the members here are recommending variety, fresh weeds, etc. It would also be a good idea to add a calcium supplement several times a week for a growing baby. I do not believe you can overfeed a tortoise with the proper food in variety. Others may disagree.

But I do know, by the time an internal lack shows in an outward way, like the shell, or activity level, sickness... much damage is already done.
Good fortune with your baby
welcome :)

krh11b23

5 Year Member
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.I've had my sulcata for about two months and I've notice he's grown pretty fast. My friend bought one from the same batch and mine is about four times bigger. I've only been feeding him\her romaine lettuce and he has an awesome basking spot. I would like to think he's doing great but don't want to force feed him\her . feed my tortoise twice a day a significant amount of lettuce sometimes cilantro .any help would be appreciated. Thanx guys
My opinion is your sulcata should never eat romaine lettuce. They are grass/weed eaters. There really is no reason you should ever feed it lettuce.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California