Is it ok to use super glue or something like gorilla glue on a sulcata's shell

Location (City and/or State)
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Hello,

I need some advice. We have an 8 year old female Sulcata named Ayana. We have 26 acres and during the warmer months she generally wanders around the part of the back yard that is not wooded. This summer, she has taken to the front of the house and has even gone to the street (which is quite busy). Thankfully, my son caught her in time.

After that drama, we constructed a large circular enclosure with a small wading pool with circulating water. For some reason she decided this would be a great time to burrow. We kept our eyes on her to make sure she wasn't in danger of having dirt collapse upon her. She really seemed to enjoy it...until a huge storm started to fill her den with water. We rescued her and hastily erect another "secure" area. Hind site being 20/20, I should have brought her inside and found a way to keep the dogs from getting to tortoise poop.

Unfortunately, this area was not secure enough and she escaped the next afternoon. We scoured the woods surrounding our house, looked every place in which she had nestled down previously, but by day 3 I was pretty freaked. Only then did it occur to me to look on Craig's list. Alas, someone had rescued her (the intersection they identified is directly in front of our house). The post said they would keep her for a couple of days and would then place her up for adoption. OK, again...I freaked. The only avenue of response was a craigslist generated email. I responded, told him my story, offered a reward and waited. I Also posted my own "LOST" add on Craig's list. Many people responded and directed me to the original posting the "finder" had posted. I responded to each one as I had heard nothing in the 24 hours since I had reached out and I had no idea what kind of individual had found her. Many wonderful people began responding to his post letting him know that I was trying to reach him.

I received a call from him telling me that he had kept her a couple days and had then taken her the alligator sanctuary in Athens Michigan. This is a 45 minute drive from our home in Kalamazoo. I was obviously dealing with a very caring person. He said his children had named her "Bobbi" and then said something about being very said. I questioned if he meant his children were sad to see her go. His response was a bit jarring. He said, "No, not the kids...the turtle". I still feel a bit silly that I literally had to bite my tongue so I wouldn't blurt out "TORTOISE".

Anyway, I called the sanctuary and talked to a gentleman (later identified as the owners son). He said the owner wouldn't be back until noon. My response, "No problem, I'll come now, buy a ticket and wander around until he returns. When I got there, I wandered around looking for her. There were 2 sulcatas; one quite larger than her and one with significant pyramiding. It turned out that the dad had gone to a private party to do a presentation of animals
and had taken Ayana with him. I was afraid I was going to be in for a fight in order to get her back. Thankfully, that was not the case. When he arrived I was outside and I spoke with him as he unloaded his van. He was incredibly gracious and said, "great, take her home" and then he said, "she moves slower than other Sulcata's I've seen, but man her shell looks great".

This summer we bought 4 hibiscus trees so we would have bright flowers on the patio is addition to providing the occasional treat of Ayana. I brought a couple of the red hibiscus flowers with me to the sanctuary. I took her out of the container, placed her on the ground and laid down parallel to her. I talked to her a little bit, put the flower in front of her and just watched. It took her a few moments, but she moved toward it, but with her head tilted to the left. I was concerned that she had somehow been injured during the whole ordeal. She slowly grabbed the flower, pulling it into the left side of her shell, where she finally ate it. I then moved so I was face to face with her (still a couple of feet away) and put the second flower on the ground. I think this is when she finally saw me. Her head came out, she looked at me and lunged at the flower, with her neck extended normally. It was gone in an instant. She was on the move and her speed greatly surprised the owner of the sanctuary. The gentleman who found her asked that I just make a donation to the sanctuary in lieu of a reward. A request I was more than happy to agree. I amended my posting on Craig's list, thanking everyone who responded and helped and highly recommended the sanctuary for a field trip.

Well, now that you have my entire story...I have a few questions. First, I never want to repeat this experience again. I found a GPS locator called the whistle that is made to go on a dogs collar, but has also been used on birds of prey and by one owner of a Sulcata, who was also prone to wandering. The owner of the Sulcata had somehow secured holder to the shell so that the actual GPS could be slid in and out for charging. I contacted two different zoos and have received no responses as to whether this is safe.

1. Is it safe to use super glue or some other strong adhesive to secure the mounting bracket to her shell (it weighs 2 ounces at most). If not, is it safe to put a dog collar around the girth of her shell and attach it to that?

2. I have always been told that tortoises really have little use for humans other than for food. Could she really have been depressed, recognized me and had an emotional response?

Thank you for any responses!

Stacey

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I know that people have used epoxy and hot glue, but I can't remember who. I think @Team Gomberg has experience with this.

Whatever you end up using just make sure nothing goes on the growth lines.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Stacey
Torts don't like change all these places and people . Are different but the tort knew you . That means things are getting normal . And putting a belt of some kind may deform the shell . I remember seeing a tort on the web that had something around it and it's shell really was deformed .
I was from Saginaw , Mi. And I'm happy you got your tort back .
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472604792.223567.jpg

Douglas Yardley

I would personally not glue anything onto a tortoise's shell. For my Red-foot I use an adjustable dog harness when I take her out for walkies. I attached a little capsule containing a slip of paper with my name and contact info. She does not wear the harness all the time, and I adjust it as needed, so her shell does not get deformed. DPY

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm wondering why she doesn't have a real secured enclosure? You even mentioned she wondered to the front yard and to the street. She needs to have a proper enclosure to keep her safe! A dog collar is not it, it could get caught up and really hurt her. Epoxy has been used before. Do not get it on the area between the scutes. A chip can also be implanted by a qualified reptile get. More important, build her a proper home.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would personally not glue anything onto a tortoise's shell. For my Red-foot I use an adjustable dog harness when I take her out for walkies. I attached a little capsule containing a slip of paper with my name and contact info. She does not wear the harness all the time, and I adjust it as needed, so her shell does not get deformed. DPY
This is fine if you never let her roam with it on unsupervised. A proper secured enclosure is the proper way to care for them and to let them roam/graze

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Stacey and welcome to the forum.

I've never glued anything to a tortoises shell, so I have no advice for you there, except that I wouldn't do it.

You don't need a GPS unit attached to your tortoise, you need a proper enclosure that will contain the tortoise in its safe area. GPS won't help the next time your tortoise gets loose, makes it to the street and get used as a speed bump. This happens all too often. We would be happy to offer suggestion for how to contain her. There are many ways to do it.

What size tortoise are we talking about? Length and approximate weight?

Kalamazoo, Michigan
HI Everyone,

Thank you so much for the insights. I actually received a response from the animal management supervisor at the John Ball Zoo and thought I would share:

Stacey

Thanks for your question. These guys can be a challenge that way. When we have built containment for them here, we have had to secure the bottom of our posts in cement to prevent them from bulldozing the posts out of place.

As it happens, I just spent some time researching radiotransmitter attachment to box and Blanding's turtles. The two part epoxy PC 7 was recommended to me by several biologists that radio track turtles. Since it is two putties that are mixed, there is less opportunity for chemical to seep into the shell. Since you are working with an animal with large scutes, I would avoid placement over the between scute seams. One biologist mentioned to me that they would place a tape barrier over the seams before applying epoxy. PC 7 takes about 24 hours to cure so I would avoid putting the animal out in the weather for 24 hours after applying the GPS unit. You should be able to find some additional information by searching turtle or tortoise radio telemetry on Google Scholar. Biologists typically will publish specific techniques and products they use in the methods section of their publications.

Good luck and let me know how it goes. We may be applying similar techniques to a study of wild turtles that we are doing here.

--
Bill Flanagan
Animal Management Supervisor
John Ball Zoo
1300 W. Fulton St.
Grand Rapids, MI 49504
616 336 4301 Ext. 8006
[email protected]

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi and a very warm welcome to the forum!:)

Personally, I would NOT advise you to use glue on the shell of a tort.;) Any pics of your tort available?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's funny all the large sulcata some members have on the forum and the very large Aldabras that Aldabraman has and I haven't heard of any bull dozing their fences over. Ones with too small of enclosures may do it, but it sounds like you have enough property to give her a nice size area that would probably keep her happy, at least in the summer time. Not sure what you have for her in the winter. The gps isn't a bad idea, but it won't keep her from getting hit by a car if she wonders into the road. I would bet the zoo doesn't have a big enough enclosure for the amount of tortoises they have, most zoos don't. The combo of a gps bad a proper enclosure would have everything covered. A proper enclosure most Likely would also solve all the problems too.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
HI Everyone,

Thank you so much for the insights. I actually received a response from the animal management supervisor at the John Ball Zoo and thought I would share:

Stacey

Thanks for your question. These guys can be a challenge that way. When we have built containment for them here, we have had to secure the bottom of our posts in cement to prevent them from bulldozing the posts out of place.

As it happens, I just spent some time researching radiotransmitter attachment to box and Blanding's turtles. The two part epoxy PC 7 was recommended to me by several biologists that radio track turtles. Since it is two putties that are mixed, there is less opportunity for chemical to seep into the shell. Since you are working with an animal with large scutes, I would avoid placement over the between scute seams. One biologist mentioned to me that they would place a tape barrier over the seams before applying epoxy. PC 7 takes about 24 hours to cure so I would avoid putting the animal out in the weather for 24 hours after applying the GPS unit. You should be able to find some additional information by searching turtle or tortoise radio telemetry on Google Scholar. Biologists typically will publish specific techniques and products they use in the methods section of their publications.

Good luck and let me know how it goes. We may be applying similar techniques to a study of wild turtles that we are doing here.

--
Bill Flanagan
John Ball Zoo
1300 W. Fulton St.
Grand Rapids, MI 49504
616 336 4301 Ext. 8006
[email protected]

Sounds like he may have been involved in the research on Blandings that was done here in WI at Fort McCoy. Indeed, PC7 was what was used to secure the transmitters. Be careful with other epoxies as some get pretty hot when first mixed together.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I'm on the other side of Michigan and I've never heard of the alligator sanctuary. Now I have to go look this up and check it out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Stacey, and welcome to the Forum!

I don't think a GPS transmitter is necessary. Many of us have sulcatas, and pretty large ones, and we are quite able to keep them contained.

A secure fence may cost more than the transmitter, but you will have peace of mind knowing your tortoise is safe at home. All you need is something they can't see through...a solid wood fence. This is where my 110lb sulcata lives and he's never knocked down, bulldozed or tried to climb his fence:

Dudley's track 10-8-14.jpg Dudley's up in arms a.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
HI Everyone,

Stacey

--
Bill Flanagan
John Ball Zoo
1300 W. Fulton St.
Grand Rapids, MI 49504
616 336 4301 Ext. 8006
[email protected]

I have used the two part epoxy on all four of the CDTs here to secure their state required tags to their shells...they each have the tag secured to a rear scute, right in the center..avoiding the growth areas between which is hugely important..as mentioned..some of the mixes can heat up initially so mix and wait a couple moments and touch a little..when good proceed...some folks have even had dog tags printed for the tort..then that dog tag adhered to a visible scute in the event of an escape or more importantly in the event of an emergency where a secure enclosure is damaged..like in a wildfire or other type of disaster...like the two huge wildfires we recently went through. People would come across displaced animals and swoop them up out of the way of the fire or help the ones who made it through and were found after the fire raged through...there are many reasons a little ID tag is worthy...a touch of adhesive in a spot of shell is a fair trade off to possibly get the tortoise a ride back to its home or person...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have used the two part epoxy on all four of the CDTs here to secure their state required tags to their shells...they each have the tag secured to a rear scute, right in the center..avoiding the growth areas between which is hugely important..as mentioned..some of the mixes can heat up initially so mix and wait a couple moments and touch a little..when good proceed...some folks have even had dog tags printed for the tort..then that dog tag adhered to a visible scute in the event of an escape or more importantly in the event of an emergency where a secure enclosure is damaged..like in a wildfire or other type of disaster...like the two huge wildfires we recently went through. People would come across displaced animals and swoop them up out of the way of the fire or help the ones who made it through and were found after the fire raged through...there are many reasons a little ID tag is worthy...a touch of adhesive in a spot of shell is a fair trade off to possibly get the tortoise a ride back to its home or person...
Very true. An ID can come in handy. Not as handy as a secured enclosure that can keep the tortoise out of the road. A gps won't do that nor will a tag. A combo off both may be your best choice. Both aren't needed, the enclosure is.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

This 2 part epoxy sounds like a good permanent option.

I've pondered using silicone, too.

Personally, I've only used hot glue because it was a temporary application and I needed the Bluetooth tracker to be removable.
Staying clear of the scute edges and new growth is very important.

Let us know what you use.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Very true. An ID can come in handy. Not as handy as a secured enclosure that can keep the tortoise out of the road. A gps won't do that nor will a tag. A combo off both may be your best choice. Both aren't needed, the enclosure is.

A secured fence during a raging wall of fire won't do much..in my personal opinion..based entirely in my personal geographical location experience..there were dogs and cats and various animals that made it through the fires up here found wandering ...animals bolting into the arms of firefighters ..animals that had no choice but to shelter in place...no fences left..just animals who survived....a fence is a good and necessary material when keeping a captive animal for sure...so if the fence fails then the pasted on phone number is a good back up... ;)

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Some doctors use super glue on human wounds and I've used it on my fingernails, so I imagine it would be safe to use on a tortoise shell.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Some doctors use super glue on human wounds and I've used it on my fingernails, so I imagine it would be safe to use on a tortoise shell.
I actually was thinking about this after reading this thread the other day. I super glued a cut once. It burned like hell, but it did its job and I was just fine.