Is it ok to use this supplement?

Jiriza92

Location (City and/or State)
Orlando FL
We have a baby hermann tort, about 3 months old. Can we supplement his food with this stuff?

Attachments

• 16158237516004970258206418586658.jpg
    16158237516004970258206418586658.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Thank you

I would avoid this product because it contains a lot of extra vitamin A, which your tortoise doesn't need supplemented since there is a lot in the greens that your tort eats. Overdose of vitamin A causes severe raw skin that comes off in large sheets and is probably very painful.

Rep Cal Herptivite is a more appropriate supplement for tortoises because it does not contain extra vitamin A.

Jiriza92

Orlando FL
I would avoid this product because it contains a lot of extra vitamin A, which your tortoise doesn't need supplemented since there is a lot in the greens that your tort eats. Overdose of vitamin A causes severe raw skin that comes off in large sheets and is probably very painful.

Rep Cal Herptivite is a more appropriate supplement for tortoises because it does not contain extra vitamin A.
Omg!! Thank you so much for letting me know! ??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I did not know this either. I've always used the Herptivite, but I didn't know about the Flukers. Thank you.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
I didn't know that. I've been using this product but not anymore. I'm switching to Herptivite.

I'm not sure at what level Vitamin A supplementation becomes too much. I suppose it would depend on the size of the tortoise and dose of the vitamins. Fluker's seems to have 50,000 IU/lb in their vitamin formulation:

One example of it being a big problem for a young tortoise is this thread:

The owner was feeding Repashy supplements "Calcium Plus" and "SuperVeggie" a couple of times per week. These have Vitamin A content of 200,000 IU/lb and 100,000 IU/lb, respectively. So, I guess it's possible that the Fluker's having only 50,000 IU/lb might be OK, but I figure that it's better not to risk it and to use the Herptivite. I figured it was the way to go since it was recommended by @zovick.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I'm not sure at what level Vitamin A supplementation becomes too much. I suppose it would depend on the size of the tortoise and dose of the vitamins. Fluker's seems to have 50,000 IU/lb in their vitamin formulation:

One example of it being a big problem for a young tortoise is this thread:

The owner was feeding Repashy supplements "Calcium Plus" and "SuperVeggie" a couple of times per week. These have Vitamin A content of 200,000 IU/lb and 100,000 IU/lb, respectively. So, I guess it's possible that the Fluker's having only 50,000 IU/lb might be OK, but I figure that it's better not to risk it and to use the Herptivite. I figured it was the way to go since it was recommended by @zovick.

I'm late to the party! I was up in CT this past week working in my dental practice and just returned yesterday afternoon.

My comment on this subject is as Brett mentioned. I just don't think a tortoise owner can use any better supplements than Herptivite and Ultrafine Rep-Cal. I used both of them on all of my tortoises' foods DAILY for many years and never had a single problem.

Jiriza92

Orlando FL
I'm late to the party! I was up in CT this past week working in my dental practice and just returned yesterday afternoon.

My comment on this subject is as Brett mentioned. I just don't think a tortoise owner can use any better supplements than Herptivite and Ultrafine Rep-Cal. I used both of them on all of my tortoises' foods DAILY for many years and never had a single problem.
These two?

Rep-Cal Herptivite with Beta Carotene Multivitamin​

Rep-Cal Calcium with Vitamin D3 Ultrafine Powder Reptile Supplement​

Jiriza92

Orlando FL

Also this one

Rep-Cal Calcium Ultrafine Powder Reptile Supplement​

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
These two?

Rep-Cal Herptivite with Beta Carotene Multivitamin​

Rep-Cal Calcium with Vitamin D3 Ultrafine Powder Reptile Supplement​

Yes that's the one.

Calcium with vitamin D3 isn't necessary since tortoises make it when exposed to UVB light. The Herptivite also contains some calcium. I usually sprinkle one or the other and rub it into the leaves of the food a couple times per week.

Jiriza92

Orlando FL
Yes that's the one.

Calcium with vitamin D3 isn't necessary since tortoises make it when exposed to UVB light. The Herptivite also contains some calcium. I usually sprinkle one or the other and rub it into the leaves of the food a couple times per week.
Ty soso much!

Stevie thanks you too!