Is it okay for them to bury themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glasswalker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh
I know tortoises like to dig, but is it normal for them to get under the substrate completely? I pulled Dom out because I was worried he'd suffocate.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
DITTO, of course as long as they are not trying to dig them selves under something that could fall on them and crush them.

Glasswalker

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh
Yeah, everything in there is sitting firmly on the floor of the enclosure. Something told me that'd be a good idea.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
When I want to take my hatchlings out for some sun, most of the time i have to dig 2-3 into the substrate to find them. Very normal...

Katherine

5 Year Member
Glasswalker said:
OK cool. He did kinda give me this "WTF are you doing" look lol

Haha I get that face every time I dig up my box turtle hatchlings for something. And I agree with the others, safe and normal : )

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Glasswalker said:
I know tortoises like to dig, but is it normal for them to get under the substrate completely? I pulled Dom out because I was worried he'd suffocate.

No worries, Glass. They bury themselves all the time in nature, and as mentioned above, as long as they are not undermining some heavy object that can hurt them, it's perfectly fine. Turtles don't need as much oxygen as we do, so they are not going to suffocate while buried. In fact, it's good for them, because it helps them feel safe, and it also provides them with valuable moisture for their skin. :)

socialworker81

5 Year Member
I get the same crazy look from mine :) and no matter how many hides I have for them, sometimes they just want to make their own!

Status
Not open for further replies.