Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
so I have two small tortoises, one herman's male, and a spur thighed female
I'm new to tortoises world though
So I used to keep them together but then I was told that it's not ok to keep them in pairs
It may cause stress/ illness
So I never kept them together since then
But today I got them out of their houses and let them walk
Then they saw each other and they seem to miss each, he was sniffing her and following her
They seem to like each other but im not sure tho

So I wanted to know if it's ok that they can see each other from time to time or the tortoises in general seem to not like other tortoises o_O

No, it is not oaky to keep them in pairs. And its also not okay to mix species, or allow breeding activity between two different species.

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
As with most things tortoise: Who would fund this study? Who would carry out this research? How would this scientific research be carried out? I've never had scientists knocking on my door asking to study how well my my tortoises get along. Further, as Adam pointed out, your "average" tortoise keeper frequently does not recognize the signs of tortoise aggression when they are looking right at it. They anthropomorphize and call chasing and harassment "following", or they call crowding and attempted displacement "cuddling". We've had at least three youtube videos posted on this forum of one tortoise ramming another tortoise that was labeled "helping". Two tortoises fighting and one ends up on its back. Then the video starts and the aggressor again rams its upside down rival and rights it. In one video the aggressor then proceeds to chase the loser out of its territory. In another of these videos, the aggressor is lining up for another broadside ram just as the video cuts. I understand the general public not grasping this concept, but tortoise keepers on this very forum responded with comments of how cute and wonderful it was that these tortoises were "helping" their "friends" who inexplicably found themselves upside down on flat ground for some odd reason.

I don't have any "scientific" data, but I have more than 30 years of seeing disaster after disaster. I'd prefer to not see even one more disaster due to this practice. Like the lady with the pair of red foots that ignored the advice to separate her tortoises, and then came back 6 weeks later asking what to do because one tortoise had literally eaten the tail and back leg of the other. Or Murray's thread about his juvenile russians featuring the picture of the tortoise with a bloody hole where its eye used to be. I don't know what evidence could be more compelling than that...

That's pretty compelling! Nice post.

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
Indeed. :)
Though I'm not feeling too much sympathy for you being stuck on a cruise ship !;)
Poor chap. :D

We're up in Alaska and every where we've been the humidity has been 97% or higher. I had no idea to expect this. It would be a Mecca for hatchlings if the temps were higher. The rainforests are unreal.

Wonder if there are any keepers on the site who live here.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
We're up in Alaska and every where we've been the humidity has been 97% or higher. I had no idea to expect this. It would be a Mecca for hatchlings if the temps were higher. The rainforests are unreal.

Yes, we have Alaskan keepers, though they seem to all be moving south.
Can't think why............
I'd love to go.
One day...................
Enjoy yourself! :)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I don't think we should all go together on the cruise ship to Alaska. No sireee.
This may end in absolute disaster due to dominance and territorial issues.
But I do love how this thread is turning out so "nice"!:D
NO to tortoises in pairs.:mad:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I don't think we should all go together on the cruise ship to Alaska. No sireee.
This may end in absolute disaster due to dominance and territorial issues.
But I do love how this thread is turning out so "nice"!:D
NO to tortoises in pairs.:mad:
Indeed.
Boo to pairs, thanks, Tammy, we seem to have wandered rather off topic. ;)

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California

I have another internet friend who is also on an Alaskan cruise. You might be on the same ship.

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
I have another internet friend who is also on an Alaskan cruise. You might be on the same ship.

Could be. There are at least 4 other ships on the same route, and that is a "slow week" according to the locals. Depending on your friend's age, I can guestimate which he/she is on. :D

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Could be. There are at least 4 other ships on the same route, and that is a "slow week" according to the locals. Depending on your friend's age, I can guestimate which he/she is on. :D
I think she is in her late 50s or early 60s.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I think she is in her late 50s or early 60s.
This would put her at even greater risk for unwelcome and even aggressive male (or other female) approaches including butting and ramming.

Sherrythetortoise

Oman
Thanks guys for the explanation :)
I'm new to tortoises world I've never thought it'd be that bad :(

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
This would put her at even greater risk for unwelcome and even aggressive male (or other female) approaches including butting and ramming.
lol, I was talking about my friend that is on an Alaskan cruise, not a tort!