is it possible to identify which species of hermann's hatchling that I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutie tortoise

5 Year Member
I am a newbie, and have been browsing the forum for the right care before I adopted my little hatchling. I think he/she is hermann's but not sure if he is dalmatian/Eastern. Is it possible to tell while they are still young? or Do i have to wait until they are about a year old?
I can post the pictures when I get home, but if there is anything distinguishing features that anyone know to tell the species, please let me know.. thank you in advance!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
Welcome!

You should be able to tell, even with a young Hermann. There are sticky notes at the top of the 'Hermann' section that are very detailed about distinguishing the sub-species. If you post pictures, someone can also help you. The care of Dalmatians and Easterns is the same.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum...

You can also post pictures and there are a few member that are great at telling the different sub-species..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hello there, cutie tortoise:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like for us to call you?

Also, when we know approximately where you are, it helps us design our answers to better fit your questions.

Quite a few of us use either photobucket.com or tinypic.com for pictures.

cutie tortoise

5 Year Member
ok, here is my baby tortie, Taco!

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg
ok, here are the photos,
I initially posted a thread here about my new tortoie baby, but it has been more than 30min since I posted, and it didnt allow me to modify the thread to add attachments... so here it is. (To admin, if you can combine this one to my other thread, you can do so.. thank you! and sorry for the confusion!)

sooo is he/she a dalmatian hermann's or eastern hermann's hatchling?
he sleeps all the time, and stays buried most of time- unless he is eating, but I only feed him once a day, in the morning(around 6am)
thank you so much for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi cutie tortoise:

It isn't necessary for you to post your same posts over and over again. They aren't showing up because new members have their posts moderated and until a moderator see and approves them, they don't show up.

cutie tortoise

5 Year Member
ohh okay- i see thank you. I thought I had uploaded them wrong, and was showing the broken link- good to know!

Status
Not open for further replies.