IS IT SAFE AND OKAY TO PAINT YOUR TORTOISE???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jodiewaite23

5 Year Member
I think that tortoises are the most beautiful creatures on the planet, and I wouldn't change my baby for the world. I think that because they are really different from other creatures (with the shell obviously), that people think it is okay to paint them because they haven't got fur.

However, would you paint a dog's back? Because effectively, I guess that is what you're doing to your tortoise. It isn't dye, like you could dye fur, it is PAINT, toxic or non-toxic. In my opinion, tortoises shouldn't be subjected to anything that another animal wouldn't be subjected to, and painted or dyed animals are far and in between. ID marks are a different matter, because that is for the identity and safety of the tortoise. But painting a beautiful creature for our own amusement is just sad. If an owner doesn't love their pet the way it is, they should consider buying a pet they find beautiful.

This is my opinion, and I respect everyone else's views.

Great debate, really interesting :D

Sent from my GT-I9505 using TortForum mobile app

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
I won't paint my torts' shells, I like the natural looking, but I personally see no harm in painting your torts' shells, as long as you can put those paints on your bodies...

I really see no point debating over the ways how people debating here... If you not agree with someone's comments, just debate it back or stay quiet...

ColinF87

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
When I got Ringo he had a small dot of nail varnish on his back, put there by the breeder to identify him (you can see it in my avatar photo). It came off with some acetone-free remover, and he's shown no sign of any ill effects. To me something like that is fine; the tort doesn't care and it takes seconds to put on and remove. I agree with what some others have said about more permanent decorations and painting though - what's the point? Tortoises are beautiful creatures anyway, there's no need to add to what they already have - especially if they end up being restrained while it's being done.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
My opinion on this topic is very simple:

1. Why would anyone want to ruin the natural beauty of a tortoise or turtle of any kind by painting it? Simply irrational.

2. How about if a giant creature put paint, or even worse, fingernail polish, on top of your head, face, arms, etc. and let's see how well you can breathe until it dries. Heck, maybe you'll even get dizzy and pass out. This is the "duh, don't do it" factor.

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
Almost all of our food here in the US has been tainted and pumped with crap. Our food is banned in many other places around the World due to that. Our foods aren't even considered 'safe' for consumption!

If Big Brother doesn't mind putting crap in your food while not labeling it, don't even assume for a second that nail polish is safe (even if it says it is).

Just thought I'd chime in one last time. If you want to paint something pretty; go paint your house, car, bike or self and leave the animals alone.

(In my opinion, of course)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
That's the point of the debate. Is the paint safe enough to put on yourself? If our government agency on the health of our workers (OSHA) warns that the ingredients in nail polish and acetone are dangerous if applied on skin or breathing in the vapors, and have set up laws and standards to prevent illnesses in the workplace, then maybe we should reconsider applying paint on our tortoise's shell. Of course, we're not speaking of dots to ID hatchlings; we're speaking of covering half of the tort in nail polish, which I'd remind people, was what started this debate in the first place. If someone wants to verify the validity of the dangerous chemicals in nail polish, let them check the official website of OSHA or refer to any study they can find that would collaborate their claims.
Yellow Turtle said:
I won't paint my torts' shells, I like the natural looking, but I personally see no harm in painting your torts' shells, as long as you can put those paints on your bodies...

I really see no point debating over the ways how people debating here... If you not agree with someone's comments, just debate it back or stay quiet...

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
gieseygirly said:

1. Why would anyone want to ruin the natural beauty of a tortoise or turtle of any kind by painting it? Simply irrational.

2. How about if a giant creature put paint, or even worse, fingernail polish, on top of your head, face, arms, etc. and let's see how well you can breathe until it dries. Heck, maybe you'll even get dizzy and pass out. This is the "duh, don't do it" factor.

The concept of beauty is individual. The belief that this is absolutely universal is simply irrational.

ShellyTurtleTort said:
Almost all of our food here in the US has been tainted and pumped with crap. Our food is banned in many other places around the World due to that. Our foods aren't even considered 'safe' for consumption!

If Big Brother doesn't mind putting crap in your food while not labeling it, don't even assume for a second that nail polish is safe (even if it says it is).

Just thought I'd chime in one last time. If you want to paint something pretty; go paint your house, car, bike or self and leave the animals alone.

(In my opinion, of course)

Most of our food bans come from disagreements regarding the nature, impacts, and labeling of foods derives from GMOs or the express concern for specific means of disease transmission.

This includes GMOs like Golden Rice, which prevents something like 200, 000 (I forget the exact number) cases of blindness a year that were produced prior to its introduction and distribution.

Not "almost all".

Our foods are safe for consumption.

Ingredient labels are quite clear and slippery slopes based on false premises are...fascinating.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
Baoh said:
gieseygirly said:

The concept of beauty is individual. The belief that this is absolutely universal is simply irrational.

As previously stated, it's my opinion that I'm obviously not timid in voicing.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
sibi said:
That's the point of the debate. Is the paint safe enough to put on yourself? If our government agency on the health of our workers (OSHA) warns that the ingredients in nail polish and acetone are dangerous if applied on skin or breathing in the vapors, and have set up laws and standards to prevent illnesses in the workplace, then maybe we should reconsider applying paint on our tortoise's shell. Of course, we're not speaking of dots to ID hatchlings; we're speaking of covering half of the tort in nail polish, which I'd remind people, was what started this debate in the first place. If someone wants to verify the validity of the dangerous chemicals in nail polish, let them check the official website of OSHA or refer to any study they can find that would collaborate their claims.
Yellow Turtle said:

You seem to not understand the point of OSHA, the function of an MSDS, exposure limits, or that -for all chemicals including water- toxicity is determined by dose.

Go read the MSDS on water or calcium carbonate. These matters have a context. That context is necessary for the formation of accurate perspective. It is sad to see this type of very useful information willfully misinterpreted.

gieseygirly said:
Baoh said:
gieseygirly said:

Everyone's concept of beauty is an opinion.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
Baoh said:
sibi said:
Yellow Turtle said:

You seem to not understand the point of OSHA, the function of an MSDS, exposure limits, or that -for all chemicals including water- toxicity is determined by dose.

Go read the MSDS on water or calcium carbonate. These matters have a context. That context is necessary for the formation of accurate perspective. It is sad to see this type of very useful information willfully misinterpreted.

gieseygirly said:
Baoh said:
gieseygirly said:

Uh huh

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
Re: RE: IS IT SAFE AND OKAY TO PAINT YOUR TORTOISE???

Most of our food bans come from disagreements regarding the nature, impacts, and labeling of foods derives from GMOs or the express concern for specific means of disease transmission.

This includes GMOs like Golden Rice, which prevents something like 200, 000 (I forget the exact number) cases of blindness a year that were produced prior to its introduction and distribution.

Not "almost all".

Our foods are safe for consumption.

Ingredient labels are quite clear and slippery slopes based on false premises are...fascinating.

The word 'safe' is disputable.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I understand perfectly the point of OSHA. I UNDERSTAND BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT AN AUTHORITY ON OSHA. YOU ARE NOT AN AUTHORITY ON THE TESTS THEY'VE CONDUCTED TO ARRIVE AT THEIR CONCLUSIONS. YOU ARE NOT A CHEMIST.
If any study, report, opinion, law, findings or analysis don't agree with what YOU THINK YOU KNOW about the toxicities in paint, lacquers, polish, or acetone, you ridicule, poke fun at, undermine, intimidate, or otherwise dismiss any claims as irrational, amusing, fascinating, or sad (your words, not mine). It makes me wonder if you have stocks in nail polish, or are you just s*****! Look, most members here have common sense. If common sense have many breeders, experts in their respective fields of study, including veterinary medicine say they would NOT paint their animals carapace and/or growth lines, wouldn't you think that there just might be a good reason for it? Common sense also dictates that anyone (YOU) who would use acetone on their torts is not credible and is no expert in the field. You keep doing what you want to do, but we have no reason to believe you or trust YOUR opinion!

Baoh said:
sibi said:
Yellow Turtle said:

gieseygirly said:
Baoh said:
gieseygirly said:

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Did not read the entire thread, but...
I have never seen a painted turtle or tortoise that was painted out of evil malicious intent. The end result aside, most painted turtles and tortoises are painted out of love by a misinformed pet owner. Never have I seen a tortoise walking down the garden path being ridiculed by the other tortoises for their colorful decorations so the degrading arguement is a little out there. Also, I thought this was supposed to be a debatable topic yet it seems whoever is not against the practice and says so here is getting attacked for their opinion.
As for this "wild" that is so often spoken of. If you are SO concerned about painting a tortoise not being something they do in the "wild" then unless you live in the "wild" and that is where your torts live then, um, well, I won't call you a hypocrite but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....
By the way, paining my lil guys is something that I would never do and I would be hard pressed not to beat the heck out of someone should they ever think to paint one of my babes. But that is because they are little beauties just like they are and no paint could change that!

Irish

5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
I was born naturally. I did not come out with tattoos. I chose several tattoos and they are as I would have my skin to be. Did it harm me?

If I choose to paint a tort shell with anything that is not harmful, then what is the harm?

Is a captive bred tort going to be released back into the wild? Wouldn't that be cruel?

Then should we treat CB vs. WC differently, when we own either, and neither type will be released?

If we own them And do not plan to release them to the wild, does that not play in to our vanity? Then why not paint them to suit our tastes (with non-harmful paints)? Is that any less vain than ownership to begin with, with the intent to keep an posess?

Baoh said:
gieseygirly said:

Halloween Is the time for costumes. Is it wrong to put dogs in costume? Does that cause them harm?

So why do you "own" your animals? Are you planning to release them back to th wild? Or are you the "giant" that Wants to enjoy possessing such a rewarding "pet?"

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hello guys...this debate didn't begin about PAINTING your torts with NON-TOXIC NAIL POLISH. If it can be proven that nail polish is truly non-toxic, then this debate would be moot. It was a question of whether or not "nail polish" is safe to use. The discussion had mainly been my assertions that nail polish is toxic because it has one or more toxic ingredients that can cause harm to torts as well as people. So, if you can definitely say that the paint/nail polish is truly non-toxic, then you can do anything you want to your tort. In fact, even if you find paint to be toxic, it's still your prerogative to do as you please. That's not in dispute. Having said that, I believe you would do what's right toward the animal in your care.

Irish said:
I was born naturally. I did not come out with tattoos. I chose several tattoos and they are as I would have my skin to be. Did it harm me?

If I choose to paint a tort shell with anything that is not harmful, then what is the harm?

Is a captive bred tort going to be released back into the wild? Wouldn't that be cruel?

Then should we treat CB vs. WC differently, when we own either, and neither type will be released?

If we own them And do not plan to release them to the wild, does that not play in to our vanity? Then why not paint them to suit our tastes (with non-harmful paints)? Is that any less vain than ownership to begin with, with the intent to keep an posess?

Baoh said:
gieseygirly said:

Halloween Is the time for costumes. Is it wrong to put dogs in costume? Does that cause them harm?

So why do you "own" your animals? Are you planning to release them back to th wild? Or are you the "giant" that Wants to enjoy possessing such a rewarding "pet?"

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
sibi said:
Hello guys...this debate didn't begin about PAINTING your torts with NON-TOXIC NAIL POLISH. If it can be proven that nail polish is truly non-toxic, then this debate would be moot. It was a question of whether or not "nail polish" is safe to use. The discussion had mainly been my assertions that nail polish is toxic because it has one or more toxic ingredients that can cause harm to torts as well as people. So, if you can definitely say that the paint/nail polish is truly non-toxic, then you can do anything you want to your tort. In fact, even if you find paint to be toxic, it's still your prerogative to do as you please. That's not in dispute. Having said that, I believe you would do what's right toward the animal in your care.

Doesn't this contradict what you stated the OP?

sibi said:
There some questions as to whether it's safe and acceptable to use nail polish or paint to decorate your tortoise or animal. I submit that it's neither safe nor acceptable to use paint of any kind, regardless of whether or not the paint//polish has lead or other poisonous chemicals.

Status
Not open for further replies.