Is it safe to use a red rock or Stone from Sedona, AZ?

Cristian0160

Location (City and/or State)
Glendale
I have a red rock from Sedona, AZ. I was wondering if it's safe for a Hermann's tortoise to have in it's enclosure? I believe the rock or Stone is called Schnebly Hill Formation.

I've read that it consiste of iron oxide which is rust, so I'm thinking maybe it isn't safe? Does anyone know if it's truly safe for my tortoise?

15908729362603054124536860753400.jpg

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
It’s a rock. It’s safe for the tortoise unless you drop it on him, I think ?

Seriously it looks like sandstone so no worries.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i use red lava rock(scoria) as a filter media with turtles , I've not seen a problem , I believe it's red due to iron oxide , same as the sandstone you pictured ……… I just rinse it of until it runs clear before I use it …….

Cristian0160

Glendale
i use red lava rock(scoria) as a filter media with turtles , I've not seen a problem , I believe it's red due to iron oxide , same as the sandstone you pictured ……… I just rinse it of until it runs clear before I use it …….
I don't want to take any chances though. I've read that too much iron oxide can poison animals.

Cristian0160

Glendale
I have a red rock from Sedona, AZ. I was wondering if it's safe for a Hermann's tortoise to have in it's enclosure? I believe the rock or Stone is called Schnebly Hill Formation.

I've read that it consiste of iron oxide which is rust, so I'm thinking maybe it isn't safe? Does anyone know if it's truly safe for my tortoise?
Here's the other stone or rock I have. It's more

Here is the second rock or Stone I have. It's more red than the other one.IMG_20200530_205408.jpg

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I don't want to take any chances though. I've read that too much iron oxide can poison animals.
i wouldn't tell anyone what to do , I would only tell someone what I've done ...…...these are water turtles i'm talking about ………...they have lived in , hibernated in , and drank this water filtered through these red lava rocks for many years , I've not seen a problem ……. it is also apparent at this point that nitrifying bacteria can live on these red lava rocks ......
1-2-red-lava-rock-20191124-topview-700x700.jpg

Aviary-Photo-132353264375742091.jpg

Aviary-Photo-132353270165219983.jpg

DSCF3810.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I would say if you are concerned about the mineral/elements contained in this particular rock then don’t use it. There are plenty of rocks to be had out there, why use one you have concerns about?

I have an entire bin of nice interesting plain brown Appalachian ”field stones” that id be more than happy to provide. ?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I've also used lava rock for media in my turtle filters many years with no problems.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i'd guess they are about as dangerous as a terracotta pot or those terracotta plant saucers folks use to water their tortoises ……….