Is it spring yet in the colder climates? What’s growing for food?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
I know some of you guys have been waiting for warmer weather so you can introduce some wild or different food back into your tortoises’ diets.

Has the big thaw occured? If so, maybe it’s time to put a picture and comment of your meals in the Tortoise Chef thread? Cold climate diets are often the hardest to manage and I’d love to see how it’s handled by folks.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I know some of you guys have been waiting for warmer weather so you can introduce some wild or different food back into your tortoises’ diets.

Has the big thaw occured? If so, maybe it’s time to put a picture and comment of your meals in the Tortoise Chef thread? Cold climate diets are often the hardest to manage and I’d love to see how it’s handled by folks.
I went through lots and lots and lots of wheatgrass, escarole and endive. Among other things.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My winter diet consist of dried grass and leaves, mulberry, hibiscus, magnolia, another tree leaf I don't remember the name of, cactus, spring mix, and all other grocery greens and mazuri. The dried stuff doesn't last all winter, but about half. The temps just got warmer and not quite warm enough yet. Bad spring this year, but had a warmer late fall

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh, forgot rose of Sharon leaf and also lilac leaf.
I also started adding Purina Layena since reading that Will feeds to all his tortoises and I remember Yvonne mentioning using it too.

Last edited:

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I also used herbal hay, mazuri, and cactus... thinking about trying to dry my own weeds and flowers this year for the following winter.

daniellenc

Maryland
We finally have broad leaf plantain, dandelion, hasta, and clover back. Rose of Sharon is on its way but winter diet was a lot of store bought chicories, herbal mix, spring mix, mazuri, fruit, and weekly chicken or shrimp for my red foot yearling

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
My winter diet consist of dried grass and leaves, mulberry, hibiscus, magnolia, another tree leaf I don't remember the name of, cactus, spring mix, and all other grocery greens and mazuri. The dried stuff doesn't last all winter, but about half. The temps just got warmer and not quite warm enough yet. Bad spring this year, but had a warmer late fall

Would you be willing to post it in the Chef thread? There are so many cold climate owners that could benefit from your experiences.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Is that the magnolia leaf from a magnolia tree? We have tons of those trees in our area.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is that the magnolia leaf from a magnolia tree? We have tons of those trees in our area.
Yes it is. They like them fresh better then dried though. At least mine do. That's where mazuri helps a lot. They will eat just about anything with mazuri on it.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Yes it is. They like them fresh better then dried though. At least mine do. That's where mazuri helps a lot. They will eat just about anything with mazuri on it.
Buy-Real-Magnolia-Grandiflora-Tree-Seeds-240pcs-Plant-White-Magnoliaceae-Flower-Grow-Sweet-Guang-Yu-Lan.jpg_640x640.jpg

I looked it up on tortoise table and this is what we have, it doesn't look like the one on tortoise table.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Buy-Real-Magnolia-Grandiflora-Tree-Seeds-240pcs-Plant-White-Magnoliaceae-Flower-Grow-Sweet-Guang-Yu-Lan.jpg_640x640.jpg

I looked it up on tortoise table and this is what we have, it doesn't look like the one on tortoise table.
You might just have a different color variety? The leaves on yours looks like the leaves from mine and mine looks like the one pictured on the tortoise table. It does say the flowers are mostly pink or white with some being a dark pink.
Yours is fine. The flowers can be fed too which are short lived so feed them while you have them.