is it too cold for horace

Status
Not open for further replies.

filalisa

5 Year Member
Hello, just a quick question. Horace is outside in one of his favorite burrows. Its not a very deep hole but it is sheltered by a big rose bush and ground cover. It is supposed to be in the mid 60's tonight and mid 50's tomorrow night. Should I bring him in for the night or is he ok in his little hole? Horace is about 6-7yrs old and 25-30lbs. Last fall and winter he came in and out when he wanted to, this year he doesn't have access to inside the house like he did last year. thanks in advance,

Lisa

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
You need to get that tort in the house! Sullies don't thrive in temps below 80 degrees. When temps get that cold, he needs to get inside. If during the days, if temps fall below 75, they need to be brought inside. Burrow of a few inches under a bush isn't gonna cut it. Sulcatas don't hibernate; therefore, they either need an warm outside enclosure, or they need to be brought in NOW.

filalisa

5 Year Member
sibi said:
You need to get that tort in the house! Sullies don't thrive in temps below 80 degrees. When temps get that cold, he needs to get inside. If during the days, if temps fall below 75, they need to be brought inside. Burrow of a few inches under a bush isn't gonna cut it. Sulcatas don't hibernate; therefore, they either need an warm outside enclosure, or they need to be brought in NOW.

Thanks, I will set up his crate and bring him. Lisa

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Where do you live? What are the day time highs? How deep is the burrow? What is the overnight temp in the burrow?

I have an underground shelter that is three feet deep. With daily highs in the 90s and nightly lows in the 50s, my three foot deep burrow stays 80ish all the time with no heat. My larger sulcatas have been living in a 22' deep burrow all summer long. There are in it right now and temps have already dropped into the low 60s here. It does not get cold underground at night when the daytime highs are hot. Burrows sort of average out the highs and lows. They prevent the above ground temperature extremes that occur on the surface.

lightsout2184

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info Tom. Burrows etc have to work considering where they are from dips extremely below 80 all the time. Its cool to hear temp feed backs from an actual burrow.

filalisa

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Where do you live? What are the day time highs? How deep is the burrow? What is the overnight temp in the burrow?

I have an underground shelter that is three feet deep. With daily highs in the 90s and nightly lows in the 50s, my three foot deep burrow stays 80ish all the time with no heat. My larger sulcatas have been living in a 22' deep burrow all summer long. There are in it right now and temps have already dropped into the low 60s here. It does not get cold underground at night when the daytime highs are hot. Burrows sort of average out the highs and lows. They prevent the above ground temperature extremes that occur on the surface.

Thanks Tom,
The night I posted this question it was in the 50s so I brought him. Boy what a chore getting him out of his burrow lol. since then the nights have been warmer so he has stayed outside. I don't know his exact burrow temp but I have noticed he seems to prefer his doghouse on the slab next to the ac unit lately. I think I have a few more weeks before I need to fix him a permanent spot indoors.

Now to answer your questions :0) the highs have been in the high 90s and lows high 50s to high 60s. His burrow isn't necessarily deep but it is approx. 2-3 long going under a big groundcover. when he is in it you can see him if you lift the ground cover, but he is hard to get out of there LOL. We live in north Texas on the okla border, the area is called Lake Texoma.

Thanks again, Lisa

Status
Not open for further replies.