Is it too late for my Sulcata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyoki

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orlando, Florida
Hi, I'm new here, and since reading through the forum for a few days, I'm a little worried for my Sulcata.

I purchased my baby Sulcata, Bowser less than a year ago. I had done days and days of research on Sulcata care and was determined to do everything properly. The problem is that I am just now finding out that almost all of the care sheets I had based my setup on were far from appropriate. I was told that repti bark was an appropriate substrate, that they should be kept in a very dry environment, I was given inadequate lighting and food....I basically did everything wrong. I'll attach a pic of my initial setup.
View attachment 16202
Since that time I continued to do my research and have since changed my entire setup. He is now in a 40 gallon breeder tank (until I finish his new enclosure) with topsoil and orchid bark as substrate. He has a humid hide and a water dish now, as well as a small patch of bermuda grass. His enclosure temps are 80 at one and and about 90 at the other, with a basking spot of 95. He now has a mercury vapor bulb, and gets outdoor sunlight at least twice a week. I soak and mist him daily, and try to keep his home as humid as possible (this will be easier with my new enclosure) He gets a mixed diet of finely chopped cactus pads, bermuda grasses, mazuri, spring mix, and an occasional teaspoon of pumpkin puree. Is there anything that I'm missing or should/shouldn't be doing?

Anyway, after reading though several posts, it seems that a Sulcatas overall well being is established within the first year. While I am determined to keep him in optimal conditions now that I am better educated, have I already ruined his chances? Will he end up being pyramidded and unhealthy? or is there still time to turn things around? He hasn't grown much at all in the 8 months that I've had him. Will this change or have I stunted his growth? His shell is much more firm now, but he isn't very active. He spends a lot of his time in his hide. He is only very energetic during his baths. Help!

Last edited by a moderator:

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Welcome. It sounds like you have made a complete 180 and are doing things PERFECTLY now. To make sure there's nothing that could use some tweaks to improve, maybe posting pictures of your enclosure( the one you tried of the initial enclosure didn't come through) would allow us to see things you may have overlooked.

You will find lots of help and advice here from experienced keepers with the best of intentions. You can upload your pictures to photobucket or a similar site and post the IMG Code here in your post and the pictures will appear.

Does he have a water dish? Many use a plant pot clay/terracotta saucer, which is deep enough to drink and soak in, but shallow enough for easy in and out access without climbing up and risking falling on their back or drowning.

Is the shell growing harder? Do you supplement calcium powder? Is there a screen over the enclosure or is it a ''closed chamber''? Is there anything between your MVB and the enclosure floor?

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

Heck NO! it is NEVER to later to start a good care regement! Which it seams you have started with your new set up.:)

...granted you MIGHT have a little pyramiding problems for awhile but it will get better and eventually be nothing more than a little bumpy at the very top of his scutes.... if it even happens at all... but it will only be cosmetic if it does happen. Health wise He'll be totally fine and happy!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Peter and Zamric. Your set up now sounds perfect. Also, if he's made it to a year, then he will probably be fine. One good thing about slow growth is that they really can't pyramid if they aren't growing. Pyramiding is the result of growth in the incorrect conditions. No growth=no pyramiding.

More than likely he will continue to barely grow for a while and then, seemingly suddenly, he will have "made it over the hump", and he will start sprouting like a bad weed. This is typical anyway...

Kyoki

5 Year Member
Orlando, Florida
thank you everyone for the replies. I will put up some pics when I get access to my desktop again.

pdrobber said:
Welcome. It sounds like you have made a complete 180 and are doing things PERFECTLY now. To make sure there's nothing that could use some tweaks to improve, maybe posting pictures of your enclosure( the one you tried of the initial enclosure didn't come through) would allow us to see things you may have overlooked.

You will find lots of help and advice here from experienced keepers with the best of intentions. You can upload your pictures to photobucket or a similar site and post the IMG Code here in your post and the pictures will appear.

Does he have a water dish? Many use a plant pot clay/terracotta saucer, which is deep enough to drink and soak in, but shallow enough for easy in and out access without climbing up and risking falling on their back or drowning.

Is the shell growing harder? Do you supplement calcium powder? Is there a screen over the enclosure or is it a ''closed chamber''? Is there anything between your MVB and the enclosure floor?

To answer your questions, he does have a small terra cotta water dish that he walks through on occasion. His shell is growing in much more firmly now, but the bottom is not quite as solid-feeling as his top. He does get supplemental calcium/D3 about 3 times a week on his food, and I put a little liquid calcium in his water dish. There is no top on his current cage except a plastic storage bin top over the cool side (so there is nothing between the MVB and his basking spot) I did this to try to keep in as much humidity as possible, but I am in the process of building a custom closed-in enclosure, which will be much better. I'll make a new thread to show my progress on this once I get started.

Status
Not open for further replies.