Is Loki male or female? Will get another one with different sex

Tororot

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Hello, i am a new tortoise keeper. Been 2 weeks since i got Loki (pun intended) and i want to get another one with different sex if possible.
This is a cherry head, but not so red head among the herd when i pick him from the seller

So, male or female?
I am guessing a male, but not so sure lol

Btw, it's been pyramiding since i purchased this little tort, doing my best to provide humid environment with moss substrate in the hiding box. No heat / uvb lamp since i live in indonesia.

Thank you.
Pict :

Attachments

• 20161216_072637_HDR.jpg
    20161216_072637_HDR.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 49
  • 20161216_072704_HDR.jpg
    20161216_072704_HDR.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 52
  • 20161216_072728_HDR.jpg
    20161216_072728_HDR.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 46

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Too young to sex and tortoises don't do well in pairs, specially one male, one female pair. If this one turns out male, get at least two females. If this one turns out female get another female or a female and a male. Of course, they need lots of room to live as a group and lots of hiding spots and then, if they bully each other, they will need their own enclosure.

Taco*mom

Hi Tororot,

Warmest welcome to TFO. I am glad to find another Indonesian tortoise lover who cares to raise tortoise the right way! You have found the best online community.

Raising tortoises in pair is never a good idea. If you must, better to have them in a group rather than just the two of them.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
You've got some time to figure out Loki's gender. In the mean time you can get the set up dialed in and ready for a herd if you choose to add more. They don't need 'friends' but if you want more a group is better than a duo.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome.
It will be a few years still before you can identify the gender.
If you intend to try to breed them, get a group.
However, if you are looking for a companion for your lone tortoise, save your money. Tortoises don't make friends. They do much better alone.

Tororot

Indonesia
Hi all, (@wellington, @Taco*mom, @MPRC, @ZEROPILOT) thanks for all responses.

Everyone suggested that i dont need to buy another,at least in the near future. I'm already prepared to create another pen if a new guy is really coming. Yes i read somewhere, might be in this forum, that tort doesn't need company. I guess this is just some kind of my euphoric idea to have another guy in my front yard lol, especially when some seller doing auctions for their last stock of cherries. Hard to resist haha

I will think about it again for sure. Thank you!