Is Lulu a female or male?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuluandCoco

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone!
We got our first Russian Tortoise last May which we were told was a female and around 3 years old. Her shell is a bit over 5 inches long. We were so happy with her that we decided to get another Russian Tortoise. After doing some research, it seemed that the best choice if we wanted to keep them together would be to get another female. However once we introduced them (after the ok from the vet), they would sniff each other quite a bit (and I thought it was so cute) until a couple of days later, Lulu tried to bite the new tortoise (Coco). They are now separated but when we are home, we try to see if they have since stopped this behaviour and they eat together fine, they sleep together fine, and sometimes are ok in the sunning area - but occasionally Lulu is still trying to bite Coco. After looking at numerous threads on the internet, most of the entries talk about males doing this to females - not females to females. Lulu's tail is bigger than Coco's but still Lulu's tail seems smaller than most of the male pictures that I have viewed. Can someone confirm if she is a female and if so, is she just trying to be the dominate one because there is no male around and will this stop at some point? Hopefully the pictures I have attached will do the trick.

Attachments

• IMG_2644.JPG
    IMG_2644.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2643.JPG
    IMG_2643.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 59

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
definitely looks female, of course that could change over time, but I would wager money on it being a her. short tail almost equals female.

LuluandCoco

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Well thank you everyone for your responses. I am very happy that everyone thinks so far that Lulu is a female. Has anyone ever had problems with 1 female biting another? Coco seems to do some head bobbing too. Is this just a greeting or is she trying to boss Lulu back?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I agree :) Lulu is a female :D

Yes I've had female Russians bite each other. Head bobbing though is usually what males do. Have you posted pictures of Coco?

Danny

LuluandCoco

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
egyptiandan said:
I agree :) Lulu is a female :D

Yes I've had female Russians bite each other. Head bobbing though is usually what males do. Have you posted pictures of Coco?

Danny

I didn't post any pictures of Coco yet but her shell is slightly larger than Lulu but her tail is actually quite a bit smaller. So once I noticed that Lulu's tail was quite a bit fatter & longer than Coco's, it started worrying me that Lulu was a male.

Danny - I assume you had to separate your females or did they eventually start to get along after getting used to each other. The strange thing is that when I got Lulu, she had 1 other female and 1 other male in the tank and it appeared that they all got along. The same with Coco so I thought for sure they would be good together.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yes they got seperated, but not because of the biting (which didn't happen all that often, it was more posturing with head high and mouth open). They got seperated because they are different subspecies.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Luluandcoco:

May we know your name?

Welcome to the forum. What part of the country are you located in?

LuluandCoco

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
emysemys said:
Hi Luluandcoco:

May we know your name?

Welcome to the forum. What part of the country are you located in?

Of course! My name is Tracy and I live in Ontario, Canada. I am glad to become a member to this forum. It seems like there is quite a bit of knowledge on this forum.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Looking at the pictures, I could almost swear Lulu is male... The wide, u-shaped anal scutes, a rather thick tail, and it almost looks like, if you straightened out her tail for a straight-on look instead of the angle the picture provides, her cloaca would be a slit, rather than an asterisk (*) shape. Those would all be classic signs of a male tort, exactly as I've learned them here on TFO...

But, really, I could be wrong, and it seems I'm the only one who sees a "male" in those pictures... So I dunno... But I can't help but think "she" is actually a "he"...

LuluandCoco

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Floof said:
Looking at the pictures, I could almost swear Lulu is male... The wide, u-shaped anal scutes, a rather thick tail, and it almost looks like, if you straightened out her tail for a straight-on look instead of the angle the picture provides, her cloaca would be a slit, rather than an asterisk (*) shape. Those would all be classic signs of a male tort, exactly as I've learned them here on TFO...

But, really, I could be wrong, and it seems I'm the only one who sees a "male" in those pictures... So I dunno... But I can't help but think "she" is actually a "he"...

Well at least they are separated for now...just in case. Hopefully my vet can confirm for sure next time we are in for a check-up!

Status
Not open for further replies.