Is Mazuri Tortoise diet really that good?

DebbieMilan

Location (City and/or State)
Wilmington, NC
Someone mentioned not using the LS formula. Why is that? I have small guys and am new to this. I'm extremely lucky to live in an area where I can get a lot of veggies and greens at a reasonable price. So mine enjoy as much variety as I can find. But I supplement their diet with the LS. Is there something wrong with the LS?

DebbieMilan

Wilmington, NC
Is there a reliable list of foods they can be fed freely to avoid reliance on Mazuri? I avoid fruit except for the occasional treat, but I know some veggies are worse than others. I just don't know which are best. Currently, I feed hibiscus, dandelion and cactus. Any breeders have foods they prefer as the main diet?

I have 2 young sulcatas.

daniellenc

Maryland
Someone mentioned not using the LS formula. Why is that? I have small guys and am new to this. I'm extremely lucky to live in an area where I can get a lot of veggies and greens at a reasonable price. So mine enjoy as much variety as I can find. But I supplement their diet with the LS. Is there something wrong with the LS?
Not at all and if they eat it stick with it!! The original doesn’t have hay in it and is sweeter so if yours like the LS congrats.

daniellenc

Maryland
Is there a reliable list of foods they can be fed freely to avoid reliance on Mazuri? I avoid fruit except for the occasional treat, but I know some veggies are worse than others. I just don't know which are best. Currently, I feed hibiscus, dandelion and cactus. Any breeders have foods they prefer as the main diet?

I have 2 young sulcatas.
Mulberry leaves, grape leaves, plantain, clover, hosta, Hays soaked in warm water, grass clippings....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
"Veggies" are not good tortoise food. Here is a good list of foods for your sulcatas:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

No one should rely on Mazuri. No one "needs" to feed it. It is, however, a good supplemental food to ensure that tortoises are getting all the nutrition they need. I don't need it at all. I have tons of good tortoise food growing all around me at all times of the year. I feed Mazuri to my tortoises once in a while because it is good for them.

DebbieMilan

Wilmington, NC
"Veggies" are not good tortoise food. Here is a good list of foods for your sulcatas:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

No one should rely on Mazuri. No one "needs" to feed it. It is, however, a good supplemental food to ensure that tortoises are getting all the nutrition they need. I don't need it at all. I have tons of good tortoise food growing all around me at all times of the year. I feed Mazuri to my tortoises once in a while because it is good for them.
Thanks Tom! I should specify when I say veggies, I mean the green tops of veggies. Mine are taken out daily for sunshine and grazing in the grass. I give them Timothy hay and alfalfa, but dont see them eat it. I just want them to get the nutrients they need to live a very long, happy life. Thanks, again! That was very helpful!

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I fed my tortoise Mazuri alot over the winter, and usually throw in a few moistened pieces with his daily meal of grass and weeds. This has me a little nervous, should I cut back? I don't want to damage his liver or kidneys

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom! I should specify when I say veggies, I mean the green tops of veggies. Mine are taken out daily for sunshine and grazing in the grass. I give them Timothy hay and alfalfa, but dont see them eat it. I just want them to get the nutrients they need to live a very long, happy life. Thanks, again! That was very helpful!
You said you had two, but I don't recall reading what size they are. If they are small, they are not likely to eat hay. Timothy hay and alfalfa hay are both too stemmy. Large adults can eat it, but I prefer to use bermuda hay or orchard grass hay for my larger tortoises and I grow fresh alfalfa for them.

The green tops of veggies are still veggies by my definition. Any of that kind of store bought food is okay once in a while, but its not great tortoise food. To low in fiber, wrong calcium to phosphorous ratio, and some of them are low in calcium. Many of them are goiterogens, and some are high in oxalates. Good for people, so we are told, but not so good for tortoises if that is the majority of the diet.

daniellenc

Maryland
I fed my tortoise Mazuri alot over the winter, and usually throw in a few moistened pieces with his daily meal of grass and weeds. This has me a little nervous, should I cut back? I don't want to damage his liver or kidneys
It’s very high in sugar and contains grains which are bad for all torts on a daily basis. I keep it to twice a week as a treat.

Loni

Maple Ridge, BC Canada
Thank you! Everyone is so kind! I will keep you all posted on what I find out. :)
Amazon is not replying. Canada Diet Lab best price is 25 lbs for $125 or eBay has 1.5 lbs for $67 (both include shipping) so I arranged to pay the breeder I am getting my yellowfoot from $20 for 1 lb. Then I walk into a pet store I am not familiar with and they are reselling the stuff in plastic bags. 1lb for $4 lol

Loni

Maple Ridge, BC Canada
~ We feed it soaked only as a supplement during our driest part of the year.

~ We have a few females that have no interest and simply will not eat it at all.

~ We never offer or feed it to our hatchlings under one year of age and/or 6".

The breeder gives the hatchlings one piece every week. I wanted it for back up only. I believe in whole food diets for people, dogs, cats, horses...and now tortoises. Processed food is not my first choice for any living thing.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
The breeder gives the hatchlings one piece every week. I wanted it for back up only. I believe in whole food diets for people, dogs, cats, horses...and now tortoises. Processed food is not my first choice for any living thing.

~ I don't what breeder you are referring, we never feed any hatchlings any commercial chows under one year of age and/or 6".

~ We use as a supplement only for our larger juveniles and adults.

Loni

Maple Ridge, BC Canada
~ I don't what breeder you are referring, we never feed any hatchlings any commercial chows under one year of age and/or 6".

~ We use as a supplement only for our larger juveniles and adults.

Sorry...the breeder I am getting my hatchling yellowfoot from. It was a general comment. I was on here a week ago moaning because it is so expensive to get in Canada.