Location (City and/or State)
Fort Myers, FL
I have a russian tortoise. I am not satisfied with the cypress mulch because it doesn't hold enough moisture. I wanted to get her coco coir but I think it holds too much. Would it be a good idea if I mixed the two of them? I was thinking the variety in texture might be more realistic to a natural environment, and if it worked out I would be getting the best of both worlds. I'm just not sure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a russian tortoise. I am not satisfied with the cypress mulch because it doesn't hold enough moisture. I wanted to get her coco coir but I think it holds too much. Would it be a good idea if I mixed the two of them? I was thinking the variety in texture might be more realistic to a natural environment, and if it worked out I would be getting the best of both worlds. I'm just not sure.
If you ask 10 different people this question, you'll get 12 different answers.

Here is my take: Neither of these substrate, or orchid bark too, is any better at "holding moisture" than any other. If you did an experiment with equal volumes of these three substrate, all starting dry, all side-by side in the same containers, and added the same amount of water to each, I think they would all dry out at the same rate. If I am wrong and one dries out faster due to more surface area or some other factor, then that one would be adding more humidity to the air, which is what you are after.

I see no need and no purpose for mixing substrates, but I also see no harm in it. If your substrate is drying out, then you need to add more water to it, and/or close off the top of the enclosure to slow down that rate of evaporation. Your problem is not substrate that dries out too quickly. Your problem is too much ventilation.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I used to mix both cypress mulch & coco coir. I think Tom is right, they can & will equally dry out if your chamber is dry. If you have a closed chamber, they both work pretty well. Cypress for me was cheaper & easier to get in 2 cu ft bags. I used to always soak & thoroughly saturate the substrate then dump in our youngster’s enclosure.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I have a Russian as well. I use orchid (fir) bark as recommended here on the Forum, but also in a closed chamber setting for the colder months. It’s not about the texture or a more ”realistic” environment. Just enclose the setting, and the substrate will hold the humidity with occasional water being introduced.