Is mold safe for sulcatas?

FavoriteTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Lincoln Ne
I was doing my weekly spot clean of my torts tank and found mold growing on the inside of his hide. Is this something i can just clean off and it will be fine? Keeping a high humidity while keeping mold out seems impossible.

Attachments

• 116712083_329371848468845_5530074299523490946_n.jpg
    116712083_329371848468845_5530074299523490946_n.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 116793600_210474047060073_5177526802714751251_n.jpg
    116793600_210474047060073_5177526802714751251_n.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 19

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Depends on the type of mold.
But any mold should be eliminated.
Even if it means a making newly constructed enclosure.
In this case, throw away that half log and replace it with half a flowerpot on its side.
Those logs are always prone to soak up pee and get funky

FavoriteTortoise

Lincoln Ne
Depends on the type of mold.
But any mold should be eliminated.
Even if it means a making newly constructed enclosure.
In this case, throw away that half log and replace it with half a flowerpot on its side.
Those logs are always prone to soak up pee and get funky
Can i bake the log in the oven weekly? He really likes his log...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Can i bake the log in the oven weekly? He really likes his log...
I'm not sure.
Maybe you can bleach it in the sink and leave it overnight to dry off?
Have you tried a flower pot? It's the same general shape and it's a $1.99 option that will last indefinitely.
I even use giant pots outside for my adult RF

FavoriteTortoise

Lincoln Ne
I'm not sure.
Maybe you can bleach it in the sink and leave it overnight to dry off?
Have you tried a flower pot? It's the same general shape and it's a $1.99 option that will last indefinitely.
I even use giant pots outside for my adult RF
my sulcata needs a humid hide so i thought wood wouldnt be a bad idea, ill bake it for about an hour and see how it comes out. if that doesnt work ill start looking into pots

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
How wide is the hollowed out log? If it isn't more than 8 inches or so wide, you should be able to find a faux half log replacement. Petsmart had some reasonably priced resin versions (their proprietary brand, Thrive, I think) in a range of sizes.

The real hollowed out half logs always absorbed water when I tried to use them for my turtles, and it was yucky.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
my sulcata needs a humid hide so i thought wood wouldnt be a bad idea, ill bake it for about an hour and see how it comes out. if that doesnt work ill start looking into pots
I can't speak from experience that baking will kill the mold and not do anything detrimental to the log.
It'll be an experiment in progress.
Please report how it goes.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
How wide is the hollowed out log? If it isn't more than 8 inches or so wide, you should be able to find a faux half log replacement. Petsmart had some reasonably priced resin versions (their proprietary brand, Thrive, I think) in a range of sizes.

The real hollowed out half logs always absorbed water when I tried to use them for my turtles, and it was yucky.
My brief use with those logs had the same results.
They are not so swift in a tortoise enclosure

FavoriteTortoise

Lincoln Ne

im trying to keep from using artificial stuff in the enclosure, my goal was to use only things you could find in the wild, if they interact with mold in the wild, i cant imagine its too terrible for them?

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
im trying to keep from using artificial stuff in the enclosure, my goal was to use only things you could find in the wild, if they interact with mold in the wild, i cant imagine its too terrible for them?
In the wild, if something is uncomfortable or bad for them (be it mold or another tortoise), they can usually get away from it. Keep in mind, indoor enclosures are naturalistic, not natural.

I'm nature, log hides would either be baked by the sun on a daily basis (or near daily basis) or decompose due to moisture, fungi (such as mushrooms), and other natural processes that break down dead tree limbs.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Just soak the log in a weak bleach solution for a bit. Then rinse really well

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I fail to grasp how bleach is better than mold?
Bleach breaks down after a short time and becomes nontoxic on surfaces, even when used at higher concentrations.
It's used to disinfect water (used in small amounts) in emergencies to make it safe to drink.