Is my aldabra growing too slowly?

John L.

Location (City and/or State)
Jakarta
Hi all,
I have had my aldabra for 3 weeks now, and he is eating well, but I think he is growing too slowly. He is nearly 5 months old. When I acquired him he was 150 grams. After three weeks he is only 183 grams. That’s about 11 grams a week. Is it ok or am I doing something wrong? I feed him as much as he will eat.

phengx83

Spring Hill, FL
I'm not sure if your torts are growing at the right rate because I haven't weighed my torts at all when I got them. I just now was thinking about it as soon as lazybfarm mention it. I would reach out to a veteran Aldabra member owner personally and I'm pretty sure you will find you're answer. ALDABRAMAN is highly recommended here.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Give a little more info to help us help you better.
Temps day and night, basking temp, diet, and imported or not? Any stool samples taken in to check for parasites?
Basking is a big deal, 95-100 or they cant properly digest their food.
If imported, I would have him checked for parasites.

lazybfarm

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Alabama
My aldabras are growing at about 10 g per day now. They are about 1400g and are yearlings,

John L.

Jakarta
Give a little more info to help us help you better.
Temps day and night, basking temp, diet, and imported or not? Any stool samples taken in to check for parasites?
Basking is a big deal, 95-100 or they cant properly digest their food.
If imported, I would have him checked for parasites.
The temperature during the day is around 90 and the hottest temperature is around 98. At night the temperature rarely goes below 80. I feed him opuntia cactus, hibiscus leaves, grass, and mazuri occasionally. I got him from a local seller, but he got them imported so if he hasn’t checked for parasites, I will. I soak him twice a day.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
90-98 a bit high for an over all temp. I would get that down to 80 with only a basking spot being 98.
Also they do good with a high humidity.

lazybfarm

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Alabama
the temps in my enclosures run from 80- 92, the humidity is always above 90% , they never bask like the Sulcatas , they seem to not like being too hot, They always stay away from the basking area.