Is my baby sulcatas plastron OK?

Shayladraus

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I recently acquired a baby sulcata that I’m thinking is about 2 months old. This is my first reptile ever so I am trying to make sure I’m doing everything right. Are these darker brown areas on the bottom of his plastron normal?
For reference, he is a pretty active baby, healthy poops. He goes outside in the morning (live in AZ) for 1-2 hours in sun/shade enclosed area and soaks for 10 min in warm water each morning. He is in a 55 gallon enclosure with an average median temp of 83-85°, hotter by his basking light and cooler on the opposite end. Humidity is usually 43-55 durning the day and 70-80 at night with them temp dropping to a median of 78°. He eats grass and hay daily with collard greens, turnip greens, dandelion greens and hibiscus leaves depending on the day and gets a multivitamin/calcium dusting on his food twice a week.

Am I doing everything ok? Is his shell ok? I love him lol. This is my first post thanks for reading!

Attachments

• A2D9A9B7-524B-40AC-B53F-40FC2B4F7899.jpeg
    A2D9A9B7-524B-40AC-B53F-40FC2B4F7899.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
  • C45DA49E-2ED1-438B-9CD6-B2715630B285.jpeg
    C45DA49E-2ED1-438B-9CD6-B2715630B285.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
  • 340CB0D5-B885-441F-A3A3-3F19B82537F2.jpeg
    340CB0D5-B885-441F-A3A3-3F19B82537F2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • ECEF3898-F12E-48E5-A4AF-B4DFB22B3995.jpeg
    ECEF3898-F12E-48E5-A4AF-B4DFB22B3995.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 45

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
His shell looks fine but the enclosure temps and humidity need improving.
Also he is too tiny to be outside that long, specially in AZ.
Read the sulcata caresheet and closed chamber threads and make needed improvements

Shayladraus

Arizona
Thank
Read the sulcata caresheet and closed chamber threads and make needed improvemenyou. Where do I find that?
Read the sulcata caresheet and closed chamber threads and make needed improvements
Thank you! Where do I find that? I’m having trouble navigating the site ?

Chubbs the tegu

Ma

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I recently acquired a baby sulcata that I’m thinking is about 2 months old. This is my first reptile ever so I am trying to make sure I’m doing everything right. Are these darker brown areas on the bottom of his plastron normal?
For reference, he is a pretty active baby, healthy poops. He goes outside in the morning (live in AZ) for 1-2 hours in sun/shade enclosed area and soaks for 10 min in warm water each morning. He is in a 55 gallon enclosure with an average median temp of 83-85°, hotter by his basking light and cooler on the opposite end. Humidity is usually 43-55 durning the day and 70-80 at night with them temp dropping to a median of 78°. He eats grass and hay daily with collard greens, turnip greens, dandelion greens and hibiscus leaves depending on the day and gets a multivitamin/calcium dusting on his food twice a week.

Am I doing everything ok? Is his shell ok? I love him lol. This is my first post thanks for reading!
Welcome to the forum! If you want more specific feedback from the forum members, post some pictures of your indoor enclosure and details about what you’re using for lights and UV. Your new little baby is so cute!! ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Plastron looks great. Carapace indicates that conditions are too dry, too much of the time. Make your soaks 30-40 minutes long, and keep it warmer at night. Babies don't/can't eat hay. Try to find things to feed other than grocery store greens when possible. If you must use grocery store greens, favor the right one and add amendment to them. Its all in the care sheet.

Welcome to the forum! Questions and conversation are welcome. :)

Shayladraus

Arizona
Plastron looks great. Carapace indicates that conditions are too dry, too much of the time. Make your soaks 30-40 minutes long, and keep it warmer at night. Babies don't/can't eat hay. Try to find things to feed other than grocery store greens when possible. If you must use grocery store greens, favor the right one and add amendment to them. Its all in the care sheet.

Welcome to the forum! Questions and conversation are welcome. :)
Thank you for this!! I appreciate the help!