Is my dinosaur over eating???

Acmanning24527

Location (City and/or State)
NY
My, im gonna guess...from things I've researched online) 4 year old sulcata(sp).... at first was in "cage shock". Well now that he is used to us ...and his home. I have tried so many varieties of food. Kale, collard greens, apples, pears, cucumbers, mushrooms, shrimp...

He likes apples...but LOVES LOVES LOVES bell pepper . We fill his bowl when he runs out of food. But recently...is EVERY SINGLE DAY. And all he will eat is bell peppers.

What can I do to get him to eat something different....OR....is he eating too much???? His bowl is about the size of the palm of an adults hand and about an inch deep.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20180915_223045.jpg
    20180915_223045.jpg
    590.7 KB · Views: 19

Acmanning24527

NY
When I looked up good/bad foods for them..it listed a whole bunch of things that were good for them. Shrimp and others for protein...and such. Is this not true?? Oh God lmao....I suck at this!!!!!

So eating a bowl a day is normal??
How do I entice him to eat other things?? Or is it ok if he ONLY eats that???

I feel like hes going to get so chubby he outgrows his shell!!!!!

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
No, they should not be eating bell pepper every day. They need grass and eatable weeds. Bell peppers all the time has too much sugars and will mess up the digestive tract. They are grass browsers. Fruits and vegetables should only be fed once in a blue moon.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
As others have said, the problem is not with how much the tortoise is eating, but with what the tortoise is eating.

Read the caresheets here on TFO for your species of tortoise, and feed according to those suggestions.

Jamie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. What size is your tortoise? They grow at vastly different rates, so the age doesn't tell us much.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Get your best and most up to date information right here on this site! There is a lot of bad advice being given in a lot of places.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Shrimp? for a sulcata? Stay away from that site.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
When I looked up good/bad foods for them..it listed a whole bunch of things that were good for them. Shrimp and others for protein...and such. Is this not true?? Oh God lmao....I suck at this!!!!!

So eating a bowl a day is normal??
How do I entice him to eat other things?? Or is it ok if he ONLY eats that???

I feel like hes going to get so chubby he outgrows his shell!!!!!
I think you may have confused a Sulcata care sheet with a Redfoot care sheet.

drew54

Indiana
Look up the tortoise table. That has the most updated list of foods good and bad.