Is my enclosure ok for my little one?

Sully mom

Location (City and/or State)
Salisbury, MD
I keep the basking spot around 95 and the rest stays around 77. I also soak the log daily. Am I doing this right?
IMG_20180723_194757.jpg IMG_20180723_194805.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The uvb is being block by the screen. The water dish needs to be bigger and without straights sides. The straight sides are a flop hazard and so is him climbing on the log. Being on their backs for long periods or under a heat light equals death. The low temp needs to be 80 not lower and with that open screen top your not getting proper humidity if the temps are even accurate at tort height.
Closed chamber threads in the sulcata section along with care sheet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, you really do need to read the stickies at the top of our Sulcata section. Here's what I see from a cursory glance at your picture:

Screen filters out the good UVB rays.
Reptile bowls are for lizards and snakes - animals that bend in the middle. Tortoises do NOT bend, and babies can get over balanced trying to climb the straight sides of the bowl and may end up on their back in the water.
I keep my baby enclosures all over the whole enclosure 80-85F degrees day and night - no hot side, no cool side.
I have recently learned that hot UVB lights are not a good idea for babies, and have since changed out all my baby enclosures to tube-type UVB bulbs. I buy mine at lightyourreptiles.com.
Baby tortoises hatch during the monsoon season, and living in swamp-like conditions during their first year helps the shell to grow smoothly. So I keep my substrate wet. . .not damp, but wet.

Welcome to our Forum! You've come to the best place to find the most recent, up-to-date care info.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Sully mom

Salisbury, MD
IMG_20180728_210516.jpg IMG_20180728_210510.jpg
So I put plexiglass under the screen. Cut an open hole for the new uv only bulb, replaced the bowl with a shallow saucer temporarily until I get a better dish and shaved the log to prevent climb. I have wet moss in the back of the log that keeps the whole tank slightly humid. The sole heat source is a warmer that keeps the whole tank around 85 degrees. I hope I am doing this right.

NewTortEnthusiast

Bloomington, CA
I would say change your substrate to sphagnum peat moss, rather than those woodchips you are using. You can get a 2 cubic feet or even a 3 cubic feet bag of sphagnum peat moss at Home Depot or Lowes or some other place like that.

the sphagnum peat moss will help hold more humidity and be a bit safer for your tort. Make a layer of peat moss about 2-4 inches deep. You can soak the moss a bit or spray it down so it is moist or wet (not soaking wet). Then tightly pack it with your fist and smush it all down. Tortoises like level and tightly packed ground.

If you must keep your tort in that tank, I'd suggest getting a smaller humid hide for it; so it has more room to walk around. Or you can buy a big plastic tub like one of these. This is my current setup. Granted my tortoise is of a different species/bigger/my setup is kinda lacking essentials, but look at it.

IMG_5493.JPG IMG_5494.JPG IMG_5499.JPG

All of this, at least the sphagnum peat moss, will give you higher humidity for your tortoise and or more walking space. Again, just suggestions.

Turningstar

Florida
What type of bulb are you using? The coil bulbs are not recommended. Im using a 65 watt halogen flood bulb, and have a tube style uvb light on as well for general lighting. If your tort gets a couple hours a week of natural sunlight, then you dont necessarily need a uvb bulb.
Your ambient temp should never drop below 80. Basking spot should be at around 100, as they need the heat to digest food.
Youll want to keep the humidity at 80% or higher. Your reptibark chips should work fine, just pour a bottle of water in so that there is some dampness under the substrate. There is some conjecture about whether or not they will eat sphagnum moss and get impacted, so youll find differing opinions on this. Coco coir is great, but messy. I use a little sphagnum on the bottom to absorb excess water, a few inches of coco coir over it, and a thin layer of reptibark on top to keep it cleaner.

I am also a new tort owner, and this is the info Ive gotten from everyone on here. Hopefully Ive given ot to you correctly. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here to help you.

Sully mom

Salisbury, MD
I would say change your substrate to sphagnum peat moss, rather than those woodchips you are using. You can get a 2 cubic feet or even a 3 cubic feet bag of sphagnum peat moss at Home Depot or Lowes or some other place like that.

the sphagnum peat moss will help hold more humidity and be a bit safer for your tort. Make a layer of peat moss about 2-4 inches deep. You can soak the moss a bit or spray it down so it is moist or wet (not soaking wet). Then tightly pack it with your fist and smush it all down. Tortoises like level and tightly packed ground.

If you must keep your tort in that tank, I'd suggest getting a smaller humid hide for it; so it has more room to walk around. Or you can buy a big plastic tub like one of these. This is my current setup. Granted my tortoise is of a different species/bigger/my setup is kinda lacking essentials, but look at it.

View attachment 246529 View attachment 246530 View attachment 246531

All of this, at least the sphagnum peat moss, will give you higher humidity for your tortoise and or more walking space. Again, just suggestions.
I have rearranged a bit, and switched to sphagnum moss. Temps are staying stable at 84 and the humidity is at 80 percent. Am I doing this right?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Your current tank will most likely be outlived by that tortoise within 6 months to a year.

Cover the sides with newspaper to prevent your tortoise from constantly smashing his or her face on the glass walls. As others have mentioned, your current substrate is too large and cumbersome for your current tortoise to traverse in. Use a finer grade type of substrate for now.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
You are obviously very diligent in giving the proper care for your tortoise! Your going to be a great tort mom!! I know it’s all very overwhelming at first ( I’m a recent first time mom too) but it soon becomes an addiction! Lol
Post us a new pic!

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I have rearranged a bit, and switched to sphagnum moss. Temps are staying stable at 84 and the humidity is at 80 percent. Am I doing this right?

I don't want to confuse anythnig, but I think the reptibark substrate was probably fine, and would do well with a little moisture added. Be careful of the tortoise trying to eat the moss.

Sully mom

Salisbury, MD
I don't want to confuse anythnig, but I think the reptibark substrate was probably fine, and would do well with a little moisture added. Be careful of the tortoise trying to eat the moss.
He did taste it but immediatly wiped it out of his mouth. I guess he isn't a fan of the taste. I will keep an eye on him just to make sure.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Yep, I agree that the ReptiBark was better than the sphagnum moss. I know @Tom is a strong advocare that sphagnum is not a good substrate since torts can and will easily ingest.