Is my enclosure OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix AZ aria
Hello! I'd like to know if there is anything that I could be doing differently with my tortoise enclosure? It has 4 baby desert tortoises sleeping in the log (very cute :) ). the basking spot is about 90 and the cooler section is 80. It has a water dish that they LOVE and a fake plant they enjoy sitting under. Am I missing anything?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-01-25 at 8.43.07 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-01-25 at 8.43.07 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 186
  • Screen shot 2013-01-25 at 8.43.47 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-01-25 at 8.43.47 PM.png
    694.1 KB · Views: 206
  • Screen shot 2013-01-25 at 8.41.14 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-01-25 at 8.41.14 PM.png
    435.9 KB · Views: 148

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Four? It's wayyyyy too small. I would think dirt would be a better substrate for them, the temps, I'm not sure about. I am sure wayyyy too small.

Oh, the water dish should be larger and lower, level with the substrate so they can get in easier.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
That looks like a 5 gallon. Is it?

Even if you had 1 in there, I'd say it was too small.

Is this a temporary tank? Like night time only or when traveling?

If this is their regular housing then to answer your question of what you could be doing differently minimally is size. but thats an easy change to make :)

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Yea I was gonna say that is too small for 1 tortoise..

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
It's a ten gallon tank. I was just about to get one of those storage bins for them that's about 2 feet by 4 feet. This enclosure was mainly just to get them all healthy and well established. In about 9 months I'm going to move them into an outdoor enclosure, and the water dish is level with the substrate (that is cypress mulch). You do know that these are only like 1-2 inches long.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Well good, get that storage bin sooner than later. Much sooner :)

Set up that outdoor enclosure and then the storage bin can used for keeping them safe at night.

PALOALTO

5 Year Member
Bay area, California
That's kinda small too...for my ONE tort, he has the equivalent of two 55 gallon bins, and I've been told that is "too small"

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
OK. It's not quite warm enough for them to be outside yet, but when it is I let them roam around in our yard for about 20 minuets.
Is a thirty gallon tank enough?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They still need a bigger enclosure now, until they can go outside for the day. Yes, we do realize how small they are, most of us have started with our torts at that size. my leopard was 2" and had two 55 gallon totes hooked together. Glad the water dish is level with substrate, it didn't look like it in the pic.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
They need to be upgraded ASAP, even if they are only in inch. Not only is it obviously too small, but you cant regulate heat properly in a 10 gallon.

Also, by comparing it to items in and around the tank, I an pretty sure that is a 5 gallon tank.

I notice in your other posts that you are looking to purchase another tortoise. I would strongly recommend getting these guys set up with the proper habitat and heating/ lighting before you decide to add another tort.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
theelectraco said:
They need to be upgraded ASAP, even if they are only in inch. Not only is it obviously too small, but you cant regulate heat properly in a 10 gallon.

I am able to regulate heat in a 10 gallon tank but I agree it is small for 4 . I am sure others will share some ideas to help you get them in the right size enclosure .

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
I would agree about not getting another tortoise yet. The tank is 10 by 18. The truth is these tortoises are not even mine... I'm watching them for a friend because she is to busy to watch them. once they grow up a little they are going back to her to be put in about a 10' by 5' enclosure in her yard, and then in a few years they will be let loos in her HUGE yard. Hopefully tomorrow I can go get a larger enclosure.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
If you can move them to the bin enclosure you mentioned that would be ideal. Also, I would try to position the uvb light long ways or on the other side they will get more uvb. Right now with it being positioned over the hide, it isnt too efficient.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Then tell that friend she needs to go buy a bigger enclosure for the four torts. The one they are in, no matter who owns them is TOO SMALL

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
theelectraco said:

Also, by comparing it to items in and around the tank, I an pretty sure that is a 5 gallon tank.

I notice in your other posts that you are looking to purchase another tortoise. I would strongly recommend getting these guys set up with the proper habitat and heating/ lighting before you decide to add another tort.

To be fair, it looks like a ten gallon to me....not a 5 gallon.

However, a 10 gallon is definetely too small. I'm in total agreement with the others.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Right now I would use anything you.can to provide them with a bigger enclosure. A tote, an empty drawer, anything that is tall enough to hold substrate and for them not to climb out. It cant.be that hard to find something to use, but really, it cant wait.

Right now I would use anything you.can to provide them with a bigger enclosure. A tote, an empty drawer, anything that is tall enough to hold substrate and for them not to climb out. It cant.be that hard to find something to use, but really, it cant wait.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
tortoise007 said:
Is a 30 gallon ok until they get moved outside (6ish months)?

Anything is better than a ten gallon tank. If you have a 30 gallon, move.them into it, but I would still advise you build them something bigger or make shift something. What if they/you arent ready in 6 months to go outside? Also, most 30 gallons are aquariums (for fish) and are build tall, and lack the floor space you need. Temporarily, its.an improvement, but nowhere what they need yet.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
A few cheap plastic storage bins connected end to end or side to side is a popular and cheap method. A kiddy pool could work.

Status
Not open for further replies.