Is my Greek hibernating?

Cam525

Location (City and/or State)
York, Pennsylvania
Hello,

I am new to the forums here, but have read some previous posts about similar topics and I need help! My Greek who I’ve had for a little over 10 years now has been practically sleeping for a week now. I am a little concerned because this is out of character for her and it also seems like maybe her head is stuck in her shell? She does move from one spot to another, but keeps her head in her shell. Her beak does not seem long that it would need trimmed. I have attempted soaking her in luke warm water as well but her head says in there like that. I am just really concerned. I have called the vet and hopefully can get her in tomorrow. Any help for this concerned tortoise parent would be wonderful! Thank you!

CC866824-DB10-4FD8-AA23-BD292FB4801F.jpeg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The usual problem at this time of year is lack of heat, especially at night, and/or light.

It needs to be 95-100F directly under the basking lamp. It needs to be no lower than 65F at night. And the lights need to be on full and bright for 14 hours. You may need additional lighting at this time of year to make it brighter.

You can go a little warmer than luke warm for the soak. Try baby bath temperature and soak for at least 30 minutes first thing every morning. Use a washing up bowl. The water should be deep enough to come just over the join between the shell and the plastron.

Photos of the enclosure and lighting will help us to spot any problems

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Good morning and Welcome to the Forum.

It will be interesting to see what the vet visit determines. The head does appear to be in an awkward position inside the shell and the beak does “appear” long. But, pix can be deceiving.

Id continue with shallow warm water soaks every day until vet visit tomorrow.

Is the head always stuck in the same angle/position?

Have you noted food consumption?

Lastly, make sure all your temps and lighting are set up properly.

Good luck and make sure you keep us updated.

Happy Torting

Cam525

York, Pennsylvania
The usual problem at this time of year is lack of heat, especially at night, and/or light.

It needs to be 95-100F directly under the basking lamp. It needs to be no lower than 65F at night. And the lights need to be on full and bright for 14 hours. You may need additional lighting at this time of year to make it brighter.

You can go a little warmer than luke warm for the soak. Try baby bath temperature and soak for at least 30 minutes first thing every morning. Use a washing up bowl. The water should be deep enough to come just over the join between the shell and the plastron.

Photos of the enclosure and lighting will help us to spot any problems

Hi Joesmum,

Thank you for your reply! I definetly need to do some adjusting with the temperature, so I will do that right away! Thank you for your tips and advice!

Cam525

York, Pennsylvania
Good morning and Welcome to the Forum.

It will be interesting to see what the vet visit determines. The head does appear to be in an awkward position inside the shell and the beak does “appear” long. But, pix can be deceiving.

Id continue with shallow warm water soaks every day until vet visit tomorrow.

Is the head always stuck in the same angle/position?

Have you noted food consumption?

Lastly, make sure all your temps and lighting are set up properly.

Good luck and make sure you keep us updated.

Happy Torting

Hello Maro2Bear,

Thank you for your reply as well. Her head has seemed to be in the same position at the same angle. She has not really been eating the past couple of days, she just seems to want to sleep. I am curious to see what the vet says as well. I will readjust the lamps to make sure she is getting enough heat and keep everyone updated on what the vet says!

Thank you again and happy torting to you as well!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because her head is at an angle like that, I'm goin' with it's stuck and she can't get it out. Take a Q-tip and paint the shell inside where her head is with olive oil, top and bottom. See if you can gently grab her beak on both sides and lightly wiggle her head back and forth while gently pulling it out.

Heads getting stuck inside isn't an unknown phenom. We've seen it here on the Forum before, but mostly with leopard tortoises.

Cam525

York, Pennsylvania
Because her head is at an angle like that, I'm goin' with it's stuck and she can't get it out. Take a Q-tip and paint the shell inside where her head is with olive oil, top and bottom. See if you can gently grab her beak on both sides and lightly wiggle her head back and forth while gently pulling it out.

Heads getting stuck inside isn't an unknown phenom. We've seen it here on the Forum before, but mostly with leopard tortoises.

Hello Yvonne and everyone else!

Thank you all for your advice and help! I am happy to share that Leo’s head is unstuck and she is eating and a happy girl again! I used Yvonne’s Q-tip method and it worked! Thank you all again!

4709502A-5A83-481B-BF98-7C8ADBB03484.jpeg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
That's one from Yvonne's lengthy rescue experience. I shall store that in my memory banks! I am glad all is well :)